• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Changes in 828 since intro? (1 Viewer)

spyglass

Djoo c it? Wut wuzit?
Hello fellow Swifties (so to speak....)...have a ? for anyone who owns the 828 Audubon roof. Does yours have diopter adj on the ep or on the focus knob? Also, did the eyecup design change from pull-up (as on the 820 porro) to twist up(ala B&L, Zeiss, etal)? Also, the coloring on the coatings seems to be a kind of bluish green....different from the deeper green on the 820 (and both my Nikon SE's and B&L Discoverer). Anyone else notice this? The SN on my 828 is 47726 and it is a fairly old example.

The reason I wondered is now that I've retired, I finally have time to peruse the web at leisure on crummy weather days. Hadn't looked at BVD for a while (since I was pretty sure the reviews have finished, as there isn't much to write about anymore. I think personal optics have just about hit the zenith, and further comparos are gonna be purely subjective.). But to get back to the 828's, I noticed there were two separate articles, the first by Steve, probably about '02, and another about 3 yrs later by one of the new guys (Mones or Lester). Pictures with the articles show the ep diopter adjustment grooves for Steve's and the later pic with no grooves. Que psa?

On another note, the coatings....the 828, after I did some serious side-by-sides with some other glasses in my "arsenal", to wit, 8x32SE, 8x32 Pentax SP, 7x42 Discoverer, 820 Audubon, and 7x42FL, and all were noticably brighter....not any sharper, or with better resolution, contrast, edge clarity, etc. Now I wouldn't expect the 828 to match either 7x42, and probably not the 820 (even Steve sed so), but did think it shoulda at least equalled the 8x32's....and it didn't equal my old 8x36 B&L Custom, which is multi-coated, but not FMC. Anyone else have experience, opinions, etc? It almost made me wonder if the factory 4got 2 put the phase coatings on.....

t

Congratulations on your retirement!!

You asked several questions, some of which I can respond to. You have the original 828, with diopter adjustment on the EP (left?). The newer one uses a very nice integrated adjustment in the center. (Many folks don't realize that the diopter adjusts the left side on this model, not the right as is conventional.) The coatings on mine are dark green, on both the objective and eye lenses. It is phase corrected, as is yours, and "adequately" bright. The focus control is quite smooth, and the internal construction is very good and carefully assembled in Japan. In my opinion, it's primary shortcoming is lateral CA, which can literally obliterate a dark bird against a high contrast background. The FOV is also marginally narrow. So, in summary, it's a decent, economical binocular that might satisfy many a birder, and should be quite reliable. The eyecups on mine twist-up. Do yours pull-up?

-ed

Thx....I was in a hi-stress occupation and it's great to be "free".

Now my 828 has straight push-pull cups with no detent except at full extension. Not really a factor, since I see slightly better with glasses on than off, but I was curious. As an aside, I've found that some binos, to wit the Discoverer, even tho having twist ups but no detent, don't stay put either. But this glass in particular has a little too much eye relief, so putting a narrow neoprene grommet on the tube will keep it where you want it. These are available in varying sizes from Ace Hardware, etc.

Since I'm not a real fan of the up-down diopter adj on the focus knob, having the ep adj is fine.....it's the brightness factor that now has me a little bothered. If originally a little deficient in that area, and a coating update was incorporated, I wonder when the changeover occurred. Now I suppose I'll hafta have the debate with myself whether to peddle the one I have and get a late-model, or just try to ignore the difference. Decisions, decisions.....(as if 10 binos currently on hand isn't enuf.....sheesh!)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back