• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Argentina (1 Viewer)

johnpat555

I'm going to spend some time in Argentina and am having trouble finding a good bird book covering this specific part of the world. Any ideas?

For Argentina there are to Field Guides available:

'Birds of Southern South America and Antarctica'
by Martin R. de la Pena, Maurice Rumboll

'Birds of Argentina & Uruguay. A Field Guide'
by Tito Narosky, Dario Yzurieta

The first one is available at Amazon.com.
The second one is more widely used by local birders.

Hi John and welcome to BirdForum.net from those of us on staff here.

I see Fritz has already given you some suggestions on guides. I'm sure there will be others as well. Enjoy your trip and please do let us know what you find.

Hiya

first suggestion by Fritz is excellent.

There is also an annotated checklist by Mark Pearman that is very good value.

Otherwise it's Birds of South America Vols 1 and 2 (not too big but not really for the field)

Having used both guides mentioned by Fritz, I have a clear preferance for Narosky & Yzurieta. It certainly does have it's shortcommings and is nowwhere near the quality of the recently published guides for Ecuador, Chile & Venezuela. However, to my knowledge there are no significant mistakes in it (compared to the guide by Rumboll & de la Pena that has several).

EDIT: I just checked NHBS and subbuteo for the Narosky & Yzurieta guide. Subbuteo doesn't have anything but the Spanish version available, while NHBS supposedly still has copies of the English version:

http://www.nhbs.com/xbscripts/bksrch?r=31830;l=3

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back