• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panti Forest access (1 Viewer)

Andrew Whitehouse

Professor of Listening
Supporter
Scotland
I'm visiting Singapore next month and am hoping to spend a few days birding around Panti Forest. I'm a bit concerned about current access however, having read that the Bunker Trail has been closed to the public (see here). Is this the case and, if access isn't available from the Bunker Trail, what other possibilities are there?

Andrew

On the strength of one visit I won't claim any level of expertise, but we had a lovely time on Pulau Ubin last month. It's easily accessible from Changi Jetty in the north east of the island (not far from the airport) - 25 SD in a taxi from the city centre but public transport available.

Top bird for us was Straw-headed Bulbul, of which we saw several around ponds/flooded fields just outside of the main village, on the road to the Chek Jawa Wetland. Oriental Pied Hornbill was very much in evidence. The place is quite well set up for birders with a trail through the mangroves, a rather good tower hide, minimal traffic and well marked trails. Scenery's not bad either and the restaurants on the water's edge by the boat jetty were superb - well the one we selected at random (something like Season Live Seafood, it was called - turn left at the end of the jetty and walk for a minute or two) was.

Decent maps of the island are also available, as is cheap cycle hire - though we just walked and did the loop from the jetty through Chek Jawa and back in an easy afternoon, with several detours. Mostly secondary forest I think, so plenty of birds about. Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris - I was reading about your trip to Pulau Ubin and will try to make sure I get there. I have a few days in Singapore, as well as three in Malaysia, so should have time.

Anyone know anything more about current access at Panti?

Hi Andrew,

I was in Singapore towards the end of April and visited Panti with some Singaporian Birders on the 25th. I was told we were on the Bunker Track and we went several kilometres along this road. Several other people were seen using the road. I was told by one person that access is only available on weekends due to the army using it as a training area during the week but I'm not sure how accurate this is.

Cheers
Gavin

Thanks Chris - I was reading about your trip to Pulau Ubin and will try to make sure I get there. I have a few days in Singapore, as well as three in Malaysia, so should have time.
QUOTE]

Worth keeping Mangrove Pitta in mind if you go to Palau Ubin too. We heard one while cycling on the tracks left of the main jetty.

Andrew why not send a PM to kctsang a long time,regular contributor to BF who lives in Singapore. He should be well aware of how things are. He is a really lovely person. And might be able to give you some tips on where to go and some birds/locations that may not be metioned in guides
http://www.birdforum.net/member.php?u=43317

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back