• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8 x 30 vs. 10 x 25 (1 Viewer)

Gemfyre said:
Which has the better magnification??

In what way? Lower magnifications tend to be easier to hold steady so that the view doesn't bounce around. Some folks feel quite comfortable using 10x binoculars, others do not. The only way to tell is to give them a try in person. How good a "fit" a pair is for you can also have some bearing on how still you can hold them.

You will see more detail in 10x binoculars than you can see in 8x binoculars, assuming both are of comparable quality - and that you can hold them still. In general, though, you will have a smaller field of view.

Clear skies, Alan

I have an old pair of 8 x 30 that my dad lent me. They are quite heavy but I've been managing with them.

I have seen a pair of 10 x 25 that I may buy if they have better magnification, I often find I can't see enough detail with the binoculars I have at the moment. These new ones are the modern style and probably quite light.

I would think 10x25 would not be suitable for nature watching as as soon as dusk arrives, or the weather turns dark, the view would be poor. 8x30 is likely to be a much better nature optic.

Depends. The 10x will give more magnification, but (depending on the coatings and the brand) may have less light gathering ability. What brand do you have, and what are the 10x25's you are looking at. I used Nikon 10x23's (if I recall correctly) for several years, quite successfully, until a bookcase dropped on them - in foul weather and fine. The only thing they lacked was a wide field of view.

I guess you try and use what's good for you.

The brand I have at the moment is Linet. They're pretty old, but still good.

The ones I'm looking at are in a points catalogue for an e-mail survey thing I'm a member of. I'll soon have enough points to purchase the newer pair and was wondering if it would be worth it. Page won't let me access it at the moment but I know it said they have some red coating to reduce glare.

I don't tend to use binoculars at night anyway so that probably wouldn't bother me.

Gemfyre said:
Which has the better magnification??

In general it will depend on the specific binoculars. However, the 8x30 will have a ~4mm exit pupil which I find comfortable. The 10x25 will have a larger image, but a small exit pupil = 2.5mm,making it less comfortable i.e. harder to align with the eyes. In general a higher magnification means less depth of field, and less field of view, so finding the bird and focussing on it will be harder. Ignoring other issues (optical quality and specs) I would choose the 8x30 any time. But other issues such as optical and mechanical quality, size and weight also come into play so it's not clear cut. Many people carry a small binocular e.g. 8x20 for those times when a normal binocular is too big to carry.

Exit pupil... Is that the little spot on the lens that you look through? (sorry, don't know an awful lot about binoculars).

My dad also has this HUGE heavy old pair that are some really high magnification, but it's really hard to look through them because you usually just get the yellow from the lens coating and miss the hole to look through - if that made any sense?

It will be interesting to see what the forthcoming Zeiss Victory FL bins are like as BVD seems to be looking forward to a genuinely CA free pair!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back