• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corncrake in Northern Ireland? (1 Viewer)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
Hi folks,

I have just learned that a Corncrake was regularly heard in North Antrim last year! Pity nobody bothered to tell me ..... LAST YEAR! :C

Sadly, the last time I heard them was back in 1971, in Co Meath, when I heard them every evening, during the Summer months.

What is the position of the Corncrake in N. I. today?

Are they making a comeback?

Cheers
Dick

P.S. Got a lovely view of a Jay this morning & we have the Cuckoo back with us this year.
Oh yes & I saw a Hen Harrier { Cock Bird } hunting nearby, last weekend. :t:

Hi folks,

I have just learned that a Corncrake was regularly heard in North Antrim last year! Pity nobody bothered to tell me ..... LAST YEAR! :C

News to me as well, although most years there are records of two or three spring birds calling. They don't usually stay that long. Even if i had heard about it didn't know you needed to be informed;)

What is the position of the Corncrake in N. I. today?

Still a rare spring and autumn vagrant as far as i am aware.

Are they making a comeback?

Not as yet but lets hope they can stage a recovery but i would think it is unlikely.

Derek

Unfortunately not many left at all, the last strgonhold in NI was Fermanagh as far as I know. I agree with Derek, a recovery is unlikely. Donegal is a good spot for them though, the best in Ireland...Tory Island is Corncrake City! Well worth a visit. Also, west Connaught population is doing fine, an increase of a few birds each year for the last few years. However, the Shannon Callows, traditionally a great spot for them is in bad shape, just two calling males this year.

Cw

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back