• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightjars at Thursley (1 Viewer)

David S.

Can anyone recommend a specific location within Thursley Common that's liable to turn up Nightjars? I've never seen one before and understand that Thursley is one of the best places in Surrey for them. I live in East Surrey so if there is anywhere closer that's almost as good so much the better but I'm not sure that there is.

Also, is this about the right time of year? I always thought end of May/early June was recommended. I'd like to have a look around there this coming Saturday evening if possible. Any suggestions on timing as well? I was thinking from around 8pm as the light starts to fade.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers

David

It's certainly the right time of year but 8pm sounds a bit early to me. In my experience they don't come out till it's virtually dark, after 9:30.

I don't know anywhere specific on Thursley Common, only that there are plenty there, along with Frensham and Chobham Commons. There's probably somewhere nearer to you but I don't know that area that well. If I find out about anywhere nearer you I'll let you know.

Thanks Clive, much appreciated. I went on a guided Nightjar walk last year at Minsmere and heard lots (the hands cupped around the ears technique was amazingly effective) but the warden made the fatal mistake of saying 'it looks a perfect night for Nightjars' so of course we saw none!

Thursley's a pretty big site, right? And if the best time is just before it's totally dark I probably need to pick one small area and work it well. If anyone knows of the location of any recent sightings and wouldn't mind sharing them that would be great.

David

Thanks Clive, much appreciated. I went on a guided Nightjar walk last year at Minsmere and heard lots (the hands cupped around the ears technique was amazingly effective) but the warden made the fatal mistake of saying 'it looks a perfect night for Nightjars' so of course we saw none!

Thursley's a pretty big site, right? And if the best time is just before it's totally dark I probably need to pick one small area and work it well. If anyone knows of the location of any recent sightings and wouldn't mind sharing them that would be great.

David

David,
Unless you want to specifically tick Nightjar's in Surrey, you will find Ashdown Forest is nearer. I live in Croydon and I am off down there myself at the week-end.
Agree with the others, start at about 2100....the most essential item is....insect repellent!!
Paul

Thanks for the tip-off Dave. Unfortunately I'm not around this Friday otherwise I'd have definitely gone along.

As it happened I went along to Thursley (first time I've ever been) last Friday evening to see what I could see.

Got there at 7.30pm and stayed until 10.30pm and was surprised to have the place pretty much to myself all that time. Apart from the midges, that is... (Paul: I owe you a beer for the insect repellent tip-off: saved me being eaten alive by the blighters!)

I heard at least one Nightjar several times for around 2 minute bursts of churring but never got any closer than 50 metres or so and it was soon too dark to have seen them even if they had taken wing.

Comedy/amateur moment of the night occurred a little earlier when I heard a bird I'd never heard before making a sort of chat-like clicking sound somewhere ahead on the path. It was curiously regular, even after 5 minutes of careful stalking, gradually getting closer to the source. And what was this mystery bird? The flippin' high voltage power lines overhead 'clicking' with electricity. D'oh!

David

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back