• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Change of strategy. (1 Viewer)

alcedo.atthis

With the high numbers of Siskins I have in the garden annually, I have to put up quite a number of feeders. This attracts high numbers of Starlings, and when they come in, the Siskins and finches are displaced.
For 3 years I have been using a peaked shelter made from 2 inch square galvanised mesh on a frame to supplement the feeders in the open.
In the winter, when the snow is due, I trim the Leyllandi and "thatch" the roof. As there are other feeders in the open, the Starlings being attracted to them, have now found the sheltered feeders, and the smaller birds are not getting near them.
A change of design, box type, 2 inch square mesh, 32 cubic feet.
All of the finch size birds get in as well as the 3 species of Tits. The Starlings can get in as well, but they are not so keen. This is now working fine as the smaller birds get on with feeding, and the larger birds get the spill.
This would work for Squirrels, but we don't get any. I would love a "Red" in the garden.
Dedicated sealed drainage below assists in hygene control.

Malky @ Westhill

Attachments

• Old style Siskin feeder shelter 1.jpg
    Old style Siskin feeder shelter 1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 126
  • New style feeder in situ'.jpg
    New style feeder in situ'.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 116
  • Feeding Siskins within 5 minutes.jpg
    Feeding Siskins within 5 minutes.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 131
Great work Malky. I have trouble with Starlings pinching the mealworms I put out for our Bluetit nestlings. I tried all sorts last year, but the Starlings were so determined they were even squeezing through 2" plastic mesh!

Looks like your Siskins have managed to find the food all right.

Meal worms.

Thanks Ian. I tried mealworms once, but with little success. Last week, I was sent a few products to try out, free of charge from a major supplier. In the collection, there were bags of Sunflower hearts and dedicated feeders for said. I have one of these up in the box, but there is very little take up of this either. Even the Goldfinches are ignoring it. I know that "hearts" are very successfull elsewhere, but peanuts seem to be the preferred food at present up here.

Regards

Malky @ Westhill

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's simply a question of the birds in your area not being used to seeing the sunflower hearts. The last couple of years we have holidayed in Speyside and peanuts seem to be used exclusively.

Back home, every bird going seems to prefer the sunflowers hearts. Peanuts are hardly touched though the Blue Tits, Great Tits and Chaffinches take the occasional ones. Unfortunately we only ever get the odd Siskin in Winter and sure enough they do go for the peanuts here too.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back