• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ28 exposure issues ? (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

Hi all,

I am using my FZ28 in manual mode which leaves me to set the exposure level myself aided by the onscreen meter. I alter the 'F stop' or the shutter speed as appropriate to set the exposure at mid level (neither '+' or '-') and then take the photo. When I review the pic on the camera screen it looks just fine but then when I download it on to the PC it is really dark and I have to brighten it up in Photoshop.

Does anyone have any ideas as I would have thought that if the camera is telling me that the exposure is balanced ok then you would expect it to be just that ?

Thanks very much.

FWIW, I also found my Panasonic FX150 metering to be a little wonky in full manual. But most digicams, including my FX150, tend to overexpose not underexpose. Did you print it? Try printing direct from the camera. If it looks OK then you need to adjust you monitor's gamma and/or brightness.

Hi all,

I am using my FZ28 in manual mode which leaves me to set the exposure level myself aided by the onscreen meter. I alter the 'F stop' or the shutter speed as appropriate to set the exposure at mid level (neither '+' or '-') and then take the photo. When I review the pic on the camera screen it looks just fine but then when I download it on to the PC it is really dark and I have to brighten it up in Photoshop.

Does anyone have any ideas as I would have thought that if the camera is telling me that the exposure is balanced ok then you would expect it to be just that ?

Thanks very much.

I usually use the P position from which I alter exposure as needed. In general, I find that I get a well balanced picture at a minus 1/3 setting. So that is kind of my standard from which I start. And what I see on the camera's screen pretty well translates into what I get on my PC. So I wonder whether your problem is with the camera at all. Have you used other cameras before without this problem?

I usually use the P position from which I alter exposure as needed. In general, I find that I get a well balanced picture at a minus 1/3 setting. So that is kind of my standard from which I start. And what I see on the camera's screen pretty well translates into what I get on my PC. So I wonder whether your problem is with the camera at all. Have you used other cameras before without this problem?

This is my first foray into the world of Digital Photography and so I am still a novice but as I say, I was assuming that if the camera is telling me that the exposure is ok as I am taking the picture and the preview on the camera screen looks fine after the picture is taken then I assume that my picture is ok ?

Looks like I still need to learn more !!

and the preview on the camera screen looks fine after the picture is taken then I assume that my picture is ok ?

Looks like I still need to learn more !!

I would say that then it should be pretty close to what you see on the PC. There can be issues with sharpness etc that you cannot see on the camera screen because it is too small, but general exposure should be the same in camera and PC, unless you have changed some setting on how the camera display on screen. Try to find the command for camera "reset to factory defaults" and make that reset, and then see if that solves the problem.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back