• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed Buntings & Reed Warblers in North Antrim? (1 Viewer)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
Out walking the dogs today, I forgot my Binoculars, which is often when the most interesting birds decide to appear in front of you.

Anyway, I came across what I thought might be:

Reed Buntings
&
Reed Warblers

Now I need to go back with my Binoculars this time, to try & verify, but in the meantime, can anyone here say how likely it is that these birds could be up here in North Antrim?

Cheers
Ptarmi

Hi,
Reed Buntings are common on the Antrim coast so no problem there. The warbler is most likely a Sedge Warbler another common bird.

all the best

derek

Hi,
Reed Buntings are common on the Antrim coast so no problem there. The warbler is most likely a Sedge Warbler another common bird.

all the best

derek
Thanks Derek,

I managed to call back today, briefly with Binoculars, & was able to positively identify the Reed Bunting. :t:

Sadly, I wasn't able to hang around long enough to catch sight nor sound of the Warblers though. :C

Checking the RSPB site, I guess your probably correct in saying it is most likely a Sedge Warbler.
The only thing which doesn't tally 100%, is that this little fellow sings from within the reeds & doesn't expose himself by sitting on top of a bush or branch.
Any thoughts on that?
i.e. Does the Sedge Warbler often behave like that, too?

Anyway, I'll go back up there when I have more time, armed with Binoculars & recorder this time, to hopefully put my mind at rest.

Saw a female Hen Harrier today, while driving through the Glens.
I wish there were more of them about.
I wonder how long it'll be, before the Red Kite finds his way up here. |;|

Cheers
Dick

Good Call Derek!

I've just been back up with my dogs & got some lovely views of the Warbler ... & it's unmistakable Eye Stripe, so yes, it's a Sedge Warbler OK.

I'm delighted though, because I've just extended my daily walk with the dogs & already it's paid off nicely with these two new species to my list.

Also watched a Buzzard catching worms or grubs & nicest sight today was a family flock of six or seven newly fledged Blue Tits, with their parents, catching insects around a huge Gorse bush, on this beautiful sunny day. o:)

Is there anything to beat a bit of birdwatching on a glorious late Spring / early Summer day? :D

Cheers
Dick

The only thing which doesn't tally 100%, is that this little fellow sings from within the reeds & doesn't expose himself by sitting on top of a bush or branch.
Any thoughts on that?
i.e. Does the Sedge Warbler often behave like that, too?

Yep, especially at this time of year. Early May's when they sit on prominent perches and do the display flights more.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back