• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go, Between Aberdeen and Dundee, Scotland? (1 Viewer)

mipettin

-
Hi

I am up in Aberdeen tomorrow morning. Anybody got any recommendations south of Aberdeen. I am driving south to Dundee and thinking of stopping for some birding for a few hours.

Martin
-

It's a bit out of your way, Martin, but the Slav Grebes are in at Loch Ruthven.

The excellent Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve at Montrose Basin is directly on your route and should keep you quiet for a few hours. Loads of wildfowl and waders etc

Gordon

I'll 2nd Gordon's recommendation. You can spend many hours around that area. There is an RSPB site just south of Stonehaven at a place called Crawton. That might be worth a look at allthough I have never been there myself. Anywhere else would put too much time on your journey

I am heading up north to Aberdeen next week, I lived there for a couple of years and regularly visited the cliffs at "Bullers of Buchan" is it worth visiting with the aim to photograph the birds.

Montrose Basin is a good bet, as is the RSPB reserve at Loch of Kinnordy near Kirriemuir. However, it is a bit late in the year for the seabird colonies at Crawton (Fowlsheugh) and Bullers of Buchan - most of the birds will have left the colonies by now.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back