• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Golden Eagle Killed! (1 Viewer)

As you will see, there's an opportunity for each of us to sign a pledge against these barbaric acts.

Cheers
Dick[/QUOTE]

I feel the RSPB is preaching to the converted with this petition. I suppose it's some ammunition, but the laws/sentences are in place to really punish those who are found guilty. And they are not being used. It's so depressing and in the meantime more birds will be poisoned - with the stuff that has been illegal for years! Those who own the land where an illegally killed bird is found should be responsible - oh dear, I know all this has been said before...............

:C:-C

This old article ends with:
This is likely to contain proposals for tougher measures to deter and punish wildlife criminals, including the prospect of prison sentences for habitual offenders.

'Disastrous' year for golden eagles
What a joke! |8.| Especially when you consider that these wildlife thugs usually get away Scot Free! :C

The law should be changed to ... One strike & you are out! .... automatic jail sentence!

Sadly though, the sort of 'dough for brains' EEJITS who kill Eagles would probably regard a jail sentence as a badge of honour! :-@

The landowners who invariably turn a blind eye to this sort of crime SHOULD BE PUNISHED TOO!

Working as a Gamekeeper myself, back in '72, on an estate in Ireland, I witnessed a Peregrine flying along, above a line of guns, simply curious about all the Pheasant activity going on below. At least THREE of the guns quite happily fired at the bird! :-C
I was flanking that day & shouted out .... "Don't shoot, it's a Peregrine Falcon"!
The Laird was furious & tried to scold me afterwards, claiming it was only a Kestrel! :eek!: The EEEJIT! ... but I stood my ground, calmly explaining that as a Falconer myself {then, but not any more!} I knew the difference at a glance & I let him know that I was absolutely disgusted with his condoning of this criminal act!
A week later I left that Estate .. in disgust & in protest at his attitude!

Now they have Rock Concerts on that estate!
Good job too, if you ask me ... they should stick to that ... & leave the wildlife alone!

The point is, you can be sure all the landowners know this goes on ALL THE TIME, but sadly, so many of them simply turn a blind eye!

We all know the KEEPERS laugh their heads off, every time they get away with it!
The sad fact is that so many keepers have no respect for wildlife AT ALL & they give the few decent keepers that are out there ... a bad name!

However, this will keep happening, over & over again, until the Landowners are automatically punished too!

This does not give prison? Maybe we got harder punishments for these crimes in Sweden. A while ago two men shot a common buzzard, a birder saw it and called the cops. None of them had a previous crime record but they both got 6 months in prison.

This does not give prison? Maybe we got harder punishments for these crimes in Sweden. A while ago two men shot a common buzzard, a birder saw it and called the cops. None of them had a previous crime record but they both got 6 months in prison.

Over here in the UK a chap was arrested for killing raptors and in his note book he accounted for 120 Buzzards killed on the estate he worked for. He got 12 months suspended, community service and a small fine. I think that says it all about justice for offences against wildlife here.

Over here in the UK a chap was arrested for killing raptors and in his note book he accounted for 120 Buzzards killed on the estate he worked for. He got 12 months suspended, community service and a small fine. I think that says it all about justice for offences against wildlife here.

:C

ONE YEAR IN JAIL for every Bird of Prey killed, sounds fair to me!

However, sadly, that is more an exception than what usually happens... like the people who killed two Shags (protected species in Sweden), hung them on their fence for everyone to see, a birder got pictures of it and all, and they were acquitted because "you can't expect a hunter to see the difference between a Shag and a Cormorant"... bah!

Not to mention all the instances when people shoot wolves, eagles, lynx and so on and get away with it...

However, sadly, that is more an exception than what usually happens... like the people who killed two Shags (protected species in Sweden), hung them on their fence for everyone to see, a birder got pictures of it and all, and they were acquitted because "you can't expect a hunter to see the difference between a Shag and a Cormorant"... bah!

Not to mention all the instances when people shoot wolves, eagles, lynx and so on and get away with it...

Yes that is true, and it´s a shame. However that case does not seem to be over yet, higher police commanders seem to think that maybe the local police should have investigated it further, from what i´ve heard.

It´s insane really that hunters spend so much time learning to use guns and so little time studying how the birds they are allowed / not allowed to shoot looks like. I mean some birds they have to see the difference between is hard even for seasoned birders. They should only be allowed to pull the trigger when they are so sure that they can take prison in case they are wrong.

Northern Ireland is in the UK.

A lot of people don't like it but it's still fact as yet.

Over here in Britain would have been correct.

Sorry for being pedantic, political and annoying but I'm in a grumpy mood and this is a pet hate of mine.
Hey Stephen,

..... & 'Over here in England', would have been perfect!

Geographically speaking he was quite correct of course, because this is the island of Ireland we are on. Also, around 50% of the folks here do think of it as Ireland, anyway. ;)

Still, I think it's probably best if we stick to Bird talk here. After all, it was probably only a slip of the tongue/pen.
There are other forums where the politically minded & motivated can bang their heads together pointlessly, all day long.

After all, the birds don't care, it's only us human eejits who waste our time & so many lives, over such trivia! :-C

Anyway, I'm not so sure our criminal system is exactly the same as over the water in England. I know the Scottish system is very different.

The bottom line perhaps is, if they have Bam Pots over there who are happy to destroy 150 Buzzards, do we really want to be associated with them! ;)

Cheers
Dick

Last edited:
Northern Ireland is in the UK.

A lot of people don't like it but it's still fact as yet.

Over here in Britain would have been correct.

Sorry for being pedantic, political and annoying but I'm in a grumpy mood and this is a pet hate of mine.

I think he meant 'as opposed to Sweden' where the original poster is from..

Keith.

Geographically speaking he was quite correct of course
Grrrrrrrr:C No!!! This is more a pedantic point for me than anything else. NI is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland... geographically and everything else.

UK= GB and NI
GB= England, Scotland, Wales
Ireland= NI and RoI

It's not too difficut to grasp surely?

And don't get me started on the so-called "Team GB" for the olympics:C It would have been so easy to be inclusive and call it "Team UK".

I think he meant 'as opposed to Sweden' where the original poster is from

Yes reading it again he probably did! Sorry barontan. I have wee buttons that get pressed when people say daft things about NI, usually I keep my head down and say nothing, but like I say I was in a grumpy mood and couldn't stand not replying. Sorry again barontan.

99.9% of the time I stick to birding discussion on here (that's what it's for!) and I very much enjoy it and usually try to steer away from anything too controversial. Will try to maintain this policy better in future!

Grrrrrrrr:C No!!! This is more a pedantic point for me than anything else. NI is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland... geographically and everything else.

UK= GB and NI
GB= England, Scotland, Wales
Ireland= NI and RoI

It's not too difficut to grasp surely?

And don't get me started on the so-called "Team GB" for the olympics:C It would have been so easy to be inclusive and call it "Team UK".
Personally, I think the Rugby guys have the most mature outlook.
i.e. Four National Teams, Scotland, Ireland, England & Wales.

Geographically speaking too, Ireland is of course a completely separate island from the island of Britain.

Let's face it though, we can't really call it a United Kingdom any more, now can we, what with Scotland & Wales each having their own assembly!

As for poor old Northern Ireland, well she's just too small to ever be viable on her own.

So I'm afraid, sooner or later ................ the writing's on the wall! ;)

P.S. I wonder how many Scots think Andy Murray as British! :-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back