• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Out of this world ! (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Quite literally actually .... Venus, Mars, Saturn & Jupiter

Forgive me I know this isn't birding but thought someone may be interested.

Good conditions tonight so thought i'd try scope-ing at the planets, never tried it before. Can actually see Saturns rings, the red of Mars, craters on the moon ... fantastic

I hope you take some pictures to share! Enjoy the sights anyway Carlos. My dad is currently building himself (actually this coming autumn) an observatory for his telescope. Should be good but just as well mum and dads garden is big enough for it!

Yes an interesting sight, i haven't got an astronomical telescope (or a camera that'll fit on my scope) just my normal birding scope. But went back out a short while ago and 4 of Jupiters moons are there as well.

Astronomy is also an amazing hobby. It complements birding very nicely and develops observing skills. The more you look, the more you see. There is so much that can be done with a birding scope. I have two astronomical telescopes but last night was also out looking at the planets and the Moon but with my birding scope. It is so easy to set up unlike the others. Venus is also good to look at, though rather bright. The phase is easily seen and in the coming weeks will become larger and more crescent shaped.

While mentioning Venus, you may be aware that on June 8th it will pass directly in front of the Sun (Transit) which last happened in 1882, so no-one living has seen it. To observe this event, which should be visible from the UK, through a scope you must have a proper solar filter at the front of the scope. One can be made of Baader film available from astro suppliers for around 13 ukp.

No i didn't know that Dave. Astronomy is something I've had a passive interest in for a long time, just never actively done anything about it.

Dave Smith said:
While mentioning Venus, you may be aware that on June 8th it will pass directly in front of the Sun (Transit) which last happened in 1882, so no-one living has seen it. To observe this event, which should be visible from the UK, through a scope you must have a proper solar filter at the front of the scope. One can be made of Baader film available from astro suppliers for around 13 ukp.
Or alternatively, use the scope to project an image of the sun onto a piece of paper

- - - - - - - - - -

While on the subject of planets, and seein' as this thread is in "Other Wildlife", did you all hear the news that methane has been found in the Martian atmosphere? - probably the best evidence yet for life on Mars, as such a lightweight gas won't persist in Mars' atmosphere, which means a continuous supply coming from Mars. The only other possibility is volcanic production, but there's no evidence for volcanic activity on Mars in the last billion years or so.

So the conclusion is that it must be lots of Martians f*rting away . . . :eek!:

Michael

Or alternatively, use the scope to project an image of the sun onto a piece of paper

Not a good idea if you have glass (e.g. prism) near the eyepiece end of the scope or an expensive eyepiece. The amount of heat concentrated there could damage the cement between elements or even cause the glass to crack. I have used this technique with a straight through 70mm astro scope with a simple eyepiece. I wouldn't dream of using an expensive birding scope.

You can use an old pair of binoculars to project an image of the Sun. One objective lens needs covering though.

Dave

Michael Frankis said:

- - - - - - - - - -

While on the subject of planets, and seein' as this thread is in "Other Wildlife", did you all hear the news that methane has been found in the Martian atmosphere? - probably the best evidence yet for life on Mars, as such a lightweight gas won't persist in Mars' atmosphere, which means a continuous supply coming from Mars. The only other possibility is volcanic production, but there's no evidence for volcanic activity on Mars in the last billion years or so.

So the conclusion is that it must be lots of Martians f*rting away . . . :eek!:

Michael

Yes, thats very intruiging Michael, quite exciting in fact......er, that there may be life on Mars, not the farting!

My astronomical interesting in in passing also... I love to look at the moon particularly.

I had a friend at school about 22 years ago, and we looked a Saturns rings thorugh his telecope... it's an image and an experience I'll never forget... to see something so far away with "one's own eyes".

BTW... it has ofetn been said that Astronomy is the only science in which significant input can be made by amateurs... to add to your comment about spacewatching and birdwatchind, Dave... I think Ornithology is another.

Observational skills are within the reach of us all, regardless of our "education".

Went to pick up Birdwatching mag yesterday (see, the threads not totally devoid of birds !!) down WH Smith ...... and stumbled upon Aprils copy of Astronomy Now, good in it's own right, but the main reason for mentioning it is it also has the first of a 3 part 'Getting Started In Astronomy' section

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back