• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

El Segundo ? (1 Viewer)

Robin Edwards

does anyone know of any locations within a stone's throw of El Segundo, LA that would provide some local bird life please ?

I'll be there next week with little opportunity to travel far but if the beach area of local parks would provide things to look out for then I might be able to give it a go.

Thanks in advance
robin

The breakwaters at Playa del Rey are good for shorebirds in winter, but I've never been there in summer- probably less around.

The breakwaters @ Playa del Rey are good, not great, in the summer. All have an opportunity to see plenty of things. There are also a few nearby parks. The nearby Ballona Freshwater Marsh still has a Little Blue Heron, a rarity for the area.

Thanks for the recommendation. I did get to Playa del Rey and the breakwater & local pool/marsh early on Thursday morning and noted the following :-

Great Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron x1
Green Heron
Snowy Egret
Double-crested Cormorant
Brandt's Cormorant
Clark's Grebe
Royal Tern
Caspian Tern
Elegant Tern
Least Tern
Western Gull
Heerman's Gull
Black Oystercatcher x2
Willet
Marbled Godwit
Western Sandpiper x2
Short-billed Dowitcher x1
Whimbrel
Brown Pelican
Northern Mockingbird
Black Phoebe
Bushtit
Song Sparrow
Red-tailed Hawk
Mourning Dove
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
House Finch
Allen's Hummingbird
American Crow

Thanks for the recommendation. I did get to Playa del Rey and the breakwater & local pool/marsh early on Thursday morning and noted the following :-

Great Blue Heron
Little Blue Heron x1
Green Heron
Snowy Egret
Double-crested Cormorant
Brandt's Cormorant
Clark's Grebe
Royal Tern
Caspian Tern
Elegant Tern
Least Tern
Western Gull
Heerman's Gull
Black Oystercatcher x2
Willet
Marbled Godwit
Western Sandpiper x2
Short-billed Dowitcher x1
Whimbrel
Brown Pelican
Northern Mockingbird
Black Phoebe
Bushtit
Song Sparrow
Red-tailed Hawk
Mourning Dove
Barn Swallow
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow
House Finch
Allen's Hummingbird
American Crow

Pelagic Cormorants are much more common at Playa del Rey. That may be what you saw.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back