• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TCON-17 Lens Cap (1 Viewer)

mikesimpson

Does anyone know where I can get a lens cap for the TCON-17 teleconverter? In the hot weather here in Australia, the cap went soft and must have dropped off somewhere while I was on holiday.

I contacted Olympus here in Australia and was told the lens cap was not provided as a separate object, only in a package with the converter. (So if I needed a new one I would have to pay $200 for a new lens.....)

The lens appears to be 77mm diameter, if not an Olympus cap, does anyone else know of a similar lens cap which might fit?

Thanks - Mike, Penrith, NSW.

Mike,
I don't know how things are where you live, but in the US most camera stores stock lens caps that you can buy separately, usually in the area of the store where you buy filters. They usually have them in all common sizes. A 77mm cap should fit it, I would think. If you can't get one in a store, you should be able to order one online for about say $8, plus about the same amount for shipping and being handled.

RAH said:
Mike,
I don't know how things are where you live, but in the US most camera stores stock lens caps that you can buy separately, usually in the area of the store where you buy filters. They usually have them in all common sizes. A 77mm cap should fit it, I would think. If you can't get one in a store, you should be able to order one online for about say $8, plus about the same amount for shipping and being handled.

Hi Rah,

Thanks for your response, I should have thought of that, I did a search on Google and found an online store here in Australia who kept a 77mm lens cap in stock. I am going to put a cord on this one though to make sure it does not drop off again.

Mike.

Mike, to avoid a repeat of the problem under our harsh sun, the same camera shop that supplies your new 77mm lens-cap will be able to sell you a simple stick-on elastisized strap. This slips around the T-con tube.
Regards
Robert

What ever happened to that Ausie know how? IMPROVISE
I hate it when I drop my lens cap and it breaks the silence of the room. I found some door knob covers (looks like a little ladies shower cap) Slightly padded and the elastic perimiter fits around many lenses and when not in use can be stashed in your pocket.
OR
look for plastic lids that may fit (tubular potato chip canisters)

Remember neccesity is the mother of invention.

BiLL

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back