• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crossbill Invasion? (1 Viewer)

Cheshire Birder

ARe we in for another massive Crossbill invasion in Britain?

Well quite possibly. Over the last few days large numbers have appeared on the Northern Isles (usually a prelude to an invasion). Lets hope we get a good crop coming further south into all parts of england (& wales).

Records so far -

Friday 26th - c100 on Shetland, 30 Orkney, 7 Western Isles, 2 Bedfordshire

Saturday 27th - c100 on Shetland, up to 300 Western Isles, 12 Orkney, singles in E.Yorks & Northumberland

Sunday 28th - c170 Orkney plus a possible Two Barred, c110 Shetland, c100 Western Isles, 7 W.Yorks, 5 Norfolk, 4 Wilts, 3 Lancs, 2 Derbys & single in E.Yorks.

Please feel free to post your own records here.

CB

Update -

Saturday 27th - up to 400 on Western Isles

Sunday 28th - 4 in Wilts

Monday 29th - c100 Shetland, 100+ Orkney, 57 Western Isles, 8 Cleveland, 5 Cumbria, 4 Powys, 2 Fife, single in E.Yorks.

Tuesday 30th - c130 Shetland, 30 Cumbria, single in Essex

Wednesday 1st - 67 Shetland, 22 Orkney, 10 in Norfolk

Thursday 2nd - 5 Orkney, single in Essex.

These totals are conservative under-estimates. Looks like the first wave has moved through the northern isles. Midweek the number of sightings has dropped probably due to less birders being out & about.

CB

PS prob Two Barred Crossbill reported in Dumfries & Galloway today.

I've been getting a few crossers flying through the forest of dean and gwent has also had a few turn up. Hopefully the start of something big!

Any more updates on the Crossers ? i've been looking on several bird sites but seems to have come to a grinding halt.

Desparate (Offshore) Crossbills

Just back from work, this time on a vessel at Ormen Lange (NW of Kristiansund on the west coast of Norway). Incidentally this gas field provides something like 20% of the U.K's gas.

I witnessed the recent Crossbill movement at first hand - and saw stuff I've never experienced before. The female of an exhausted pair of crossbills feeding an adult male, Crossbills eating welding slag and foraging in rigging.

Here is one of the many pictures I took of this:

More details and pictures for thoise of you who are interested can be found here.

Attachments

• Crossbill_7501_e.jpg
    Crossbill_7501_e.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 148
Just back from work, this time on a vessel at Ormen Lange (NW of Kristiansund on the west coast of Norway). Incidentally this gas field provides something like 20% of the U.K's gas.

I witnessed the recent Crossbill movement at first hand - and saw stuff I've never experienced before. The female of an exhausted pair of crossbills feeding an adult male, Crossbills eating welding slag and foraging in rigging.

Here is one of the many pictures I took of this:

More details and pictures for thoise of you who are interested can be found here.

Then it looks like an invasion is on the cards?

(Hi Edward)

First flock of the summer in Leics today - 35 circling high over Charnwood Forest. But we could not find any likely feeding areas as al the conifers are virtually coneless at present.

Steve

There is a small flock of approx 20 birds living aboard the FPSO Haewene Brim for the past 12 days
Dave

Last edited:
(Hi Edward)

First flock of the summer in Leics today - 35 circling high over Charnwood Forest. But we could not find any likely feeding areas as al the conifers are virtually coneless at present.

Steve

Interesting that you mention all your conifers were coneless. Here in Staffs at Hanchurch Woods (where Crossbills were seen recently) I noticed that all of the Larch at least, had plenty of nice fresh cones on them...I kind've just assumed that crops across the country would be synchronised, or doesn't it work like that?!! Or perhaps you just haven't got any Larch at Charnwood Forest?! ;)

Cheers
Steve

good numbers now in eastern counties during last few days.

Today flocks of 20+ in Staffs, Cambs, Kent & Herts.

Yesterday - 130+ still on Shetland, 49 on I.O.M., small numbers in Yorks, Suffolk & Northumberland.

Sat - 50+ on Scilly, 10 in Notts, 25 in Kent, 35 in Leics.

CB

Hi Bfb,

i'd give about 25% chance of them turning up there in the next 2 weeks. The more birds come south the better our chances.

Several favoured areas in the forest. If they turn up i'll give you the tour!

CB

Cheers CB I will buy the beer when I have the lifer in the bag

<will the Leathers smithy do you?>

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back