• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Texas Hill Country Bed & Breakfast (1 Viewer)

Lisa W

I really need to get out and bird more
Staff member
Supporter
United States
I recently spent 2 nights at the Quiet Hills Ranch Bed and Breakfast outside of Fredericksburg, Texas. Owned by Jim and Cindy Whatley, this B&B is a great place to visit especially if there are non-birders in the group who would like to visit the Fredericksburg area. The B&B has 3 small log cabins, each with 2 beds, a futon and a bathroom, all located on top of a small hill. There is a lodge which acts as a meeting area (if you want) that contains a large kitchen. Breakfast is a cook your own when you want type of affair. Our choices were eggs, ham, biscuits, waffles, orange juice and of course coffee. This makes very nice for birders who want to get up early, or non-birders who would like to sleep in. The Whatley's have set up a wood birding blind with plexiglass windows, camera ports, and seating. They have a small pond in front of the blind which really attracts the birds. I had two target birds in mind when I visited - the Painted Bunting and the Black and White Warbler. The bunting showed very well, both male and female. Unfortunately the Warbler was a no show, probably tending the nest. An added bonus, for me, was the Black-capped Vireo. This endangered bird comes to Texas to breed in the summer. Very small and quite fast he was a great bird to see. Quiet Hills is also near the nesting sites of the endangered Golden-cheeked Warbler which only nests in a small area of central Texas - missed him also. Among the other life birds I saw was the Black-crested Titmouse, which is found in Mexico, Texas, and a small part of Oklahoma.
If you are looking for a nice, quiet, sort of secluded, B&B in this part of Texas I can highly recommend Quiet Hills Ranch.
Photos - left to right: Black-capped Vireo, Male Painted Bunting, and Black-crested Titmouse.

Attachments

• Black-capped-Vireo3.jpg
    Black-capped-Vireo3.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Male-Painted-Bunting7.jpg
    Male-Painted-Bunting7.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Black-crested-Titmouse2.jpg
    Black-crested-Titmouse2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Appreciate the info Lisa. Bookmarked it (well, into my AZ folder for the moment...). Lovely photos, too. Thank you!
Marie

Nice little "write-up" of your adventure in the Hill Country. I still need to see the Black-capped Vireo and the Golden-cheeked Warbler. I may have to keep this place in mind for a future trip!

I actually wanted to stay at Neal's, but coming in from AZ I didn't have my own bedding. You have to bring your own sheets and towels for Neal's - a lot of the cabins and B&B's in the area wanted you to bring your own, one of the reasons I went to Quiet Hills - all was supplied.
They were easily seeing the Golden-cheeked Warbler at Neal's when I was in Fredericksburg. Really wish I could have seen it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back