• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds around San Francisco (1 Viewer)

malskelton

Enthusiastic Amateur
England
Hi all

I'm currently planning a family trip of a lifetime, it isn't scheduled until Oct / Nov 2010 - but I've got to do a lot of ground work and research ASAP to try and ensure that we get to do as many exciting things as possible.

The trip is from the UK to New Zealand - to visit family there - but my proposal is for a couple of nights stopover in San Francisco en route.

When we are there I plan on definitely travelling over the Golden Gate Bridge, visiting Alcatraz and I would like to visit the Hard Rock Cafe ( we try and visit them all over the world )

But my father and I are both keen birders, and the opportunity to see new birds in a new country is a temptation too good to miss.

I don't envisage we will have our own transport - so would love to pick up common species around the city ........ plus some gulls etc around the bay.

Also, I've just read ( I really should have realised this ) but there are hummingbirds on the Pacific Coast - potentially from April through October. I was wondering if anybody could help with that possibility.

I would love to hear from experienced SF birders, any suggestions, guidance or even sites would be amazing

Thanks

Mal Skelton

Hi Mal

I grew up in San Francisco and know the area well. However I wasn't a birder then but here is a suggestion. As you will only be there a few days and not having a car and want to cross the GG bridge but presumably not want to go too far as your time is limited. At Fishermans Wharf you can hire bikes; they have a set route along the bay, ride over the GG bridge, down through Sausalito to Tiburon and get the ferry back to SF from Tiburon. Part of the route is along an old railway line and goes past Richardson Bay, Tiburon which is a bird sanctuary, many birds here. I would be very surprised if you did not see hummingbirds along this route too.

Am a bit busy just now but I'll try to find some links for you later.

Golden Gate Park in SF is good too.

Joanne

Hi Mal

Take a look at my website for a little info on what can be seen without a car in San Francisco. I only scratched the surface and with more time I would have visited some of the larger city parks.

The Falcon Guide - Birding in Northern California, has some great spots.

Golden Gate Park, The Presidio, the Harbor, the Olympic Club, Richardson Bay, Rodeo Lagoon, Hawk Hill.

Use Birdingpal and you may find someone who'll pick you up and drive you around to a couple of non public transport areas.

As for Hummingbirds - Anna's is here year round, at that time, you may also get Allen's and Rufous in migration.

SF Bay Area

You'll see hummingbirds - and other birds - at the Botanical Gardens in Golden Gate Park. While you're there, be sure to walk (or take a boat) around Stow Lake, which is next to the gardens.

Also well worth visiting is the Cliff House / Sutro Baths / Ocean Beach area, where there can be lots of sea and other birds. It's at the western end of the 38 bus line.

If you have access to a car, I'd head for Arrowhead Marsh, right next to Oakland Airport. It's an excellent birding site. Lake Merritt, also in Oakland, can be good, too.

Jeff

If you have access to a car, I'd head for Arrowhead Marsh, right next to Oakland Airport. It's an excellent birding site. Lake Merritt, also in Oakland, can be good, too.

Both of these are near enough to the respective BART stations that taxi fare would be something reasonable. Arrowhead Marsh is the best place around the bay for Clapper Rail, while Lake Merritt is quite reliable for Barrow's Goldeneye.

Thank you all so much for the advice, guidance and suggestions - they will be invaluable

I don't know how much time we will be in San Francisco, or how many hours my father and I can justify birdwatching, but I'm certain reading some of the websites you've suggested - we can pick up some new lifers just wandering around the city.

I think I am definitely going to visit the Golden Gate Park - target bird clearly the Anna's Hummingbird :t:

I cannot wait - it is going to be awesome

Mal Skelton

Mal - I saw my life Anna's at Golden Gate park in 2000, 8 years before I moved to CA. They are quite common there. This spot in general will be good for you, as well as some of the other suggestions you made.

The Falcon Guide to Northern CA is terrible, but unfortunately there is nothing better out there now. I use it, but begrudgingly. Hopefully there is an ABA Guide made for the region soon -- southern CA has an excellent one.

For your short stay in SF, Joannec has some good suggestions about taking a ferry across the Bay to Tiburon, but the tidal flats at Richardson bay is about 2 miles away and unless you hitch a ride there, you'll lose precious time. Golden Gate Park is definitely a must, and for hummingbirdds I recommend the area next to the Conservatory (modeled after Kew Garden's) where the "red hot poker succulents" attracts the birds. There's lots to see in the park too: it is the jewel in the crown of San Francisco.

Hi Mal,

Seein' as no-one has mentioned Hard Rock Cafe, head for Pier 39 where you'll find the cafe on the roadside of the pier.
While there, make sure you have your binocs/camera and take a walk around the water-side of the pier, from the marina on the R.H. side round to the open harbour on the L.H. side.
When we were there last June I got a Clark's Grebe + varied Gulls in the marina and several Western Grebes, Brown Pelicans + Cormorants & Gulls round in the harbour along with the spectacle of the Sea Lions basking on the rafts.
Since I was only a visitor I don't know what may be different in October as opposed to June, but maybe a 'local' forum member can advise?

Sun-bathing Sea Lions (Golden Gate in the distant fog) > > >
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh317/zoed73/IMGP6391.jpg

Hi Mal,

... along with the spectacle of the Sea Lions basking on the rafts.

Sun-bathing Sea Lions (Golden Gate in the distant fog) > > >
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh317/zoed73/IMGP6391.jpg

Shortly after Thanksgiving almost all the sea lions mysteriously left their favorite rafts on Pier 39 and it is presumed that they have headed out to sea for the anchovies and other seafood. But they'll be back, only I don't know when.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread ........... but my travel details are all confirmed now, and I'm trying to shoe horn in some birding.

I arrive in San Francisco late afternoon of 20th Sept so that day is pretty much written off ( after a twelve hour flight with a two year old, I expect us to reach our apartment and collapse ! )

Day 2 starts with a 10am Alcatraz trip - hopefully we can pick up some birds around the bay and on the rock ........ then maybe lunch around Hard Rock ( somebody else suggested Pier 39 for birds in the bay ). Not sure of afternoon plans yet.

Day 3 starts with an open top bus trip over the Golden Gate bridge with a short stop at Sausalito - the bus then brings us back to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, afternoon plans aren't decided yet.

Day 3 ends with our flight out of SF International and on to Auckland

I do want to get to Golden Gate Park - especially for the Anna's Hummingbirds and also because having a two year old means that parks are ideal for her to run around in :)

I am staying around the Fisherman's Wharf area - anyone know of any areas close by where I might pick up even common birds ?

Every bird I see will be a first for me - so I don't care if it's sparrows or crows, I want to see as many different species as possible.

My dad is very cautious and thinks we may add 50 new species in USA - New Zealand - Singapore in total ........ I want to hit twice as many, but need a good start in San Francisco

Any thoughts

Mal Skelton

Although you are already taking a boat ride to Alcatraz, you might consider taking a ferry to Angel Island. Angel Island is much larger, and has considerable wild lands with trails for hiking. There should be plenty of birds to be seen in mid September. It is also an interesting place to look around, as in it's past it was an immigration station, for processing thousands of immigrants from the far east, similar to the history of Ellis Island, in New York Harbor.

You also might consider taking the transit system BART to the East Bay. The East Bay is a somewhat different climate, and is slightly less endowed with the famous San Francisco fog.

Never having visited California, you should be able to pick up 20 or more species in your visit to SF.

Have a great trip,

Jim

Angel Island is a good suggestion but would take most of a day. As you have a toddler, many of the paths are paved and suitable for a pushchair, it would probably be a bit far for her to walk. You'll get lots of common birds there that you wouldn't get in SF as it's more rural and quite woody in places. You can get a ferry from Fishermans Wharf.

Last edited:
Fisherman’s Wharf is a good base to pick up common birds, especially if you combine it with a visit to a large city park. On my visit (February 2009) I stayed within walking distance of the Wharf (apart from a trolley ride) and picked up a good number of lifers, including Anna’s HB.

Crissy Field Pond is definitely worth a visit for wading birds and waterfowl, although it may be a longish walk with a two year old in tow. Details of my trip can be found below.

http://wildlifewanderer.co.uk/2009California.aspx

Long-time San Francisco resident here. My suggestions based on your current itinerary:

1) Spend an afternoon at Strybing Arboretum & Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park. Paved paths, & easily reachable by public transit. Just glancing at my own notes from a recent quick birding hour there, you should get about 20 life birds (not counting species that'll likely be gone by then, & Holarctic species like Mallard). There's big meadows where families with children often picnic, & lots of ducks (& gulls & pigeons) that will come to be fed by kids if yours would enjoy that. The Japanese Tea Garden is right next to this, & very pretty if any of your family is into formal gardens (not a birding spot, really, & there is an admission fee).

2) A visit to Cliff House could be productive for sea birds, but would be better with a scope, & you'll have spent some time around the Bay already so not everything would be new. I'd still probably put this as 2nd best bet for you.

3) Also in Golden Gate Park is the Chain of Lakes (mainly just North & Middle Lakes), the bison paddock just east of there, & Spreckels Lake just past that. You can also reach these by public transit (the 5 Fulton runs down Market St. downtown before heading out to the park, & will drop you off at either Spreckels Lake or North Lake, depending if you want to do the full set or just the Chain of Lakes). Species mostly would be similar to what you'd get in the Arboretum & Stow Lake, but it's probably less interesting for the non-birders & young child (except for the bison). If you & your dad had an afternoon on your own, you could do this area & then hike west to Ocean Beach & turn north up to Cliff House - not a short hike, but not too bad either & gets you some good changes of habitat as you go.

4) Depending on time & how much you need to coordinate your schedule with the non-birding family members, Muir Woods in Marin County might be worth a visit. It can be reached by public transit + a hike if you take Golden Gate Transit from San Francisco to the Mountain Home stop & then hike down the hill into Muir Woods; alternatively, I'm certain that you could find guided trips that would run there, although then you face the joys of traipsing through w/ a crowd. The hike from the GG Transit stop might be harder w/ the young child, but if you can find a way to get there the redwoods would surely appeal to any non-birders who appreciate nature. You won't get a lot of species here, just a thought if you need some shared activity plans.

1) Spend an afternoon at Strybing Arboretum & Stow Lake in Golden Gate Park. Paved paths, & easily reachable by public transit. Just glancing at my own notes from a recent quick birding hour there, you should get about 20 life birds (not counting species that'll likely be gone by then, & Holarctic species like Mallard). There's big meadows where families with children often picnic, & lots of ducks (& gulls & pigeons) that will come to be fed by kids if yours would enjoy that. The Japanese Tea Garden is right next to this, & very pretty if any of your family is into formal gardens (not a birding spot, really, & there is an admission fee).

3) Also in Golden Gate Park is the Chain of Lakes (mainly just North & Middle Lakes), the bison paddock just east of there, & Spreckels Lake just past that. You can also reach these by public transit (the 5 Fulton runs down Market St. downtown before heading out to the park, & will drop you off at either Spreckels Lake or North Lake, depending if you want to do the full set or just the Chain of Lakes). Species mostly would be similar to what you'd get in the Arboretum & Stow Lake, but it's probably less interesting for the non-birders & young child (except for the bison). If you & your dad had an afternoon on your own, you could do this area & then hike west to Ocean Beach & turn north up to Cliff House - not a short hike, but not too bad either & gets you some good changes of habitat as you go.

Thanks for these suggestions - I think the Golden Gate Park is a distinct possibility for one afternoon.

My prime target for the trip is an Anna's Hummingbird ( or any other type of hummingbird ). How easy / difficult a task would that be ?

Any suggestions for locations / times etc

Thanks

Mal Skelton

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back