• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two new publications for CR (yet another field guide?) (1 Viewer)

JJP

Another bird field guide due out in 2010 for Costa Rica

http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/henb2p.html

I do not know the the author or the illustrator. The competition will likely be with the Garrigues field guide since that now appears to be the default guide for the field.

Of more interest to me is a new and badly needed site guide supposedly coming out in September of this year.

http://birdingcr.com/

The last bird-finding guide for CR was published almost a decade ago. There have been at least two and neither of those were as useful as they should have been. I hope this one has more detail.

There is a nice little CR bird quiz on the web site.

Last edited:
Thanks for updating us on those publications.
As for the first book, I don't think it will be very competitive with Garrigues and Dean, or very useful for the serious birder as it doesn't even cover half the species recorded in CR. It probably will be very useful for the average ecotourist though; the likely market for this book.

Yes, it is about time someone came out with a good bird finding guide to CR. I was fortunate to get a sneak peak at this one and from a brief look at it, I thought the book looked better than other site guides. I recall certain things that I felt to be lacking but overall it looked good.
I like the quiz at the website!

Thanks for updating us on those publications.
As for the first book, I don't think it will be very competitive with Garrigues and Dean, or very useful for the serious birder as it doesn't even cover half the species recorded in CR. It probably will be very useful for the average ecotourist though; the likely market for this book.

You're right. I didn't see the part about the birds "travelers are most likely to see."

Off the Beaten Path in CR

After looking over a web site promoting the new CR bird site guide - http://birdingcr.com - I clicked on a hyperlink entitled "useful links". It appears to me there are several places mentioned here that are not the typical Costa Rica itineraries for birders. It's not likely there are birding trip reports circulating on the Internet about these places.

I list them here.....

Caribbean

Laguna del Lagarto Lodge
Hotel Gavilan
Selva Bananito Lodge
Coter Lake Eco-Lodge
Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge
El Copal Biological Reserve
Tirimbina Rainforest Center
Mi Pedacito de Cielo
Albergue el Socorro
Quebrada Grande
Maquenque Eco-lodge

North Pacific

Hacienda Guachipelin Hotel
La Ensenada Lodge
Curu Wildlife Refuge

South Pacific

Oro Verde Biological Reserve
Rancho La Merced Wildlife Refuge
Marenco Beach and Rainforest Lodge
Bosque del Rio Tigre
Esquinas Rainforest Lodge
Talari Mountain Lodge
Las Cruces Biological Station
La Amistad Lodge

Mountains Region

Children's Eternal Rain Forest Reserve
Bosque de Paz Lodge
Peace Lodge
Kiri Lodge
Paraiso del Quetzal
Mirador Valle del General

I added a few to this list that are on the new "Costa Rica Bird Route" still being developed.

Many of these I have cursory knowledge (Tirimbina, Las Esquinas, Bosque De Paz, etc... for example). However, if anyone else has comments on these places I would appreciate first impressions. Most have web sites.

I'm also interested by what definition the word "eco-lodge" is used.

After looking over a web site promoting the new CR bird site guide - http://birdingcr.com - I clicked on a hyperlink entitled "useful links". It appears to me there are several places mentioned here that are not the typical Costa Rica itineraries for birders. It's not likely there are birding trip reports circulating on the Internet about these places.

I list them here.....

Caribbean

Laguna del Lagarto Lodge
Hotel Gavilan
Selva Bananito Lodge
Coter Lake Eco-Lodge
Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge
El Copal Biological Reserve
Tirimbina Rainforest Center
Mi Pedacito de Cielo
Albergue el Socorro
Quebrada Grande
Maquenque Eco-lodge

North Pacific

Hacienda Guachipelin Hotel
La Ensenada Lodge
Curu Wildlife Refuge

South Pacific

Oro Verde Biological Reserve
Rancho La Merced Wildlife Refuge
Marenco Beach and Rainforest Lodge
Bosque del Rio Tigre
Esquinas Rainforest Lodge
Talari Mountain Lodge
Las Cruces Biological Station
La Amistad Lodge

Mountains Region

Children's Eternal Rain Forest Reserve
Bosque de Paz Lodge
Peace Lodge
Kiri Lodge
Paraiso del Quetzal
Mirador Valle del General

I added a few to this list that are on the new "Costa Rica Bird Route" still being developed.

Many of these I have cursory knowledge (Tirimbina, Las Esquinas, Bosque De Paz, etc... for example). However, if anyone else has comments on these places I would appreciate first impressions. Most have web sites.

I'm also interested by what definition the word "eco-lodge" is used.

Here in Costa Rica, "Eco-lodge" can refer to any sort of lodging as most hotels at least offer "eco-tours" or promote wildlife viewing in some way or another.
Although there are too many places to write about, some of my favorites are:

El Gavilan- because of the friendly atmosphere and relaxed birding. Although they don't have primary rainforest on the grounds, the second growth and gallery forest hosts many bird species. The place is also close to La Selva.

El Copal- although I haven't been, it is supposedly very good for birding albeit difficult to access.

Bosque del Rio Tigre- one of the best birding lodges in CR. Owners known where lots of species are and many rare birds can be seen around the lodge.

Children's Eternal Rain Forest Reserve- Part of the protected area around Monteverde, the Pocosol biological station is one of the best birding sites in CR. It is off the beaten track but guaranteed for great birding because of the large amount of primary rainforest at 700m elevation. I might guide a group there next month- I sure hope so!

Kiri Lodge- nice little place just outside of Tapanti.

Paraiso del Quetzal- Eddie Serrano cabins. Need to see Quetzal?- take the short tour- sightings of several are virtually guaranteed. On Cerro de la Muerte.

Mirador Valle del General- On Cerro de la Muerte overlooking San Isidro, can apparently be good for middle elevation stuff coming to feeders and best site for White-tailed Emerald in CR (easier in Panama) but when I made a short stop there the other day, I saw very few birds.

Birdingcraft.... are you guiding for a company as a tour guide or you are guiding for a personal client?

I do freelance guiding, mostly working on my own because I primarily do day trips to sites within reach of the Central Valley. I occasionally do overnight trips but nothing for more than two nights because I don't want to be away from my wife and baby daughter for longer than that.

I do freelance guiding, mostly working on my own because I primarily do day trips to sites within reach of the Central Valley. I occasionally do overnight trips but nothing for more than two nights because I don't want to be away from my wife and baby daughter for longer than that.

I'm curious about how much work their is now for guide services in CR. I know a lot of them are more eager for work these days than they were three years ago. A lot of tour guides are now finding themselves "available".

I'm curious about how much work their is now for guide services in CR. I know a lot of them are more eager for work these days than they were three years ago. A lot of tour guides are now finding themselves "available".

Oh yes, quite true. Tourism has dropped quite a bit with the recession.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back