• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB HD Bin's Upgrade (1 Viewer)

baldingeagle

Hello folks.

Noticed in the autumn RSPB catalogue the RSPB HD bin's have been upgraded. Dioptre correct has been moved from the centre to the right eyepiece, and a new coating on the lens. Nothing on the RSPB optics website. There still showing the older version. price has gone up a tiny amount.

Has anyone tried this new version at all.

Richard

Not tried them yet Richard, prism coatings improved, easy cleaning coating on objective lens.

New 8x32 model available at £449 and 42 models up to £499, not in at Minsmere yet. We'll probably only get stock if any are left after the Birdfair.

Nev

According the RSPB site they will be available in September. At the last Optics Day at Minsmere I was speaking to the Viking representative about the HD and he said they were having trouble getting hold of them. Perhaps they are changing the supplier/manufacturer.

I was very impressed by the HD apart from the diopter adjustment. I found that I had to move the adjustment dial a long way to the right from the centre position before they were adjusted correctly. With every other binocular I have used I hardly need to move the adjuster at all. Perhaps there was an issue with the diopter adjustment system.

One other slight disappointment is that the HD comes with a 10 year warranty whereas the cheaper HG comes with 30 years. I don't know if that is the difference between Chinese and Japanese sourced bins.

Ron

One other slight disappointment is that the HD comes with a 10 year warranty whereas the cheaper HG comes with 30 years. I don't know if that is the difference between Chinese and Japanese sourced bins.

Ron

I doubt it's location. It's the EU rules on warranties.

The Top 4 bin makers now all have 10 year max warranties in the EU and cited EU rules for that.

I doubt it's location. It's the EU rules on warranties.

The Top 4 bin makers now all have 10 year max warranties in the EU and cited EU rules for that.
Opticron still provide a 30 year warranty with some of their binoculars. However, for the first 10 years they are covered for parts and labour costs and for the subsequent 20 years they are covered for parts costs only.

I still don't understand why the RSPB High Grade has a 30 year warranty whereas the HD, which is the range topper and costs about £100 more than the HG, only benefits from 10 years warranty. I wondered whether the RSPB/Viking have more faith in the quality and longevity of the HG model and whether this is a reflection of its place of manufacture. I have no reason to think this and it is pure speculation on my part.

Ron

I notice that the description now confirms that they are fully waterproof and nitrogen filled, information that was absent from the previous literature, although it was obvious that they would be.

Ron

Opticron still provide a 30 year warranty with some of their binoculars. However, for the first 10 years they are covered for parts and labour costs and for the subsequent 20 years they are covered for parts costs only.

I think that second part isn't a warranty under the EU directive which must include parts, labor and shipping but they were being nice to provide it (better than nothing).

I've still not found the EU directive text that controls this but they made changes in 2002 and 2005 (especially on electronic gear ... with a minimum 2 year warranty). I suspect there may be another change after that as I first saw this come up with the Leica HD intro.

I wonder if old products were grandfathered in and could retain the old warranty (so you didn't have to send notification to someone saying your lifetime warranty expired 5 years ago ... not great PR)?

for my new docter binos there is the following text (bought in germany)
In event of defects in material and workmanship, we will bear labour and material costs during an initial period of five years from the date of purchase. We reserve the right, at our opinion, to repair or replace defective products.
In the 25 years following this initial period, we will only assume the cost of material.

I was very impressed by the HD apart from the diopter adjustment. I found that I had to move the adjustment dial a long way to the right from the centre position before they were adjusted correctly.

Me too, though the rest of the binocular was faultless and had a very nice image. To my eyes it compared favourably to a Swarovski EL I tried at the time. I will look forward to trying out the revised model on next visit to Titchwell!!!

Matt

I'm thinking about a new pair of bins and had the opportunity to try out the RSPB HD 8x32s yesterday at Pulborough. I can see why people like them, very bright and clear and reasonably priced. I liked them but I have two concerns:

1) It was a very sunny bright day yesterday. I know one should try optics in poor light but that wasn't an option. So how are they on dull days? How do they compare to top optics in poor light?

2)This concerns the eyecups. My eyes are not deeply set and I need the eyecups fully out. The eyecups on these bins didn't seem to go out as far as other bins and I got a small amount of 'blackout'. Not a lot but enough to notice. I think by positioning them I would probably be able to eliminate it and that I would probably get used to it. What do you guys think, would I get used to it or should I forget about these bins?

Thanks
Joanne

EDIT: my gaff; meant to say 8x42s.

Last edited:
2)This concerns the eyecups. My eyes are not deeply set and I need the eyecups fully out. The eyecups on these bins didn't seem to go out as far as other bins and I got a small amount of 'blackout'.
Thanks
Joanne

This may be due to the 8x32 shorter eye relief, ie your eyes have to be placed closer to the occular lense before you see the full image. Larger 8x42 bins have longer eye relief and easier more eye friendly eye placement, perhaps try and find a lightweight 7x42 or 8x42 model which might suit you better and be more comfortable to use.

If you liked the 8x32 HD you'd love the 8x42 model, it's also quite compact and lightweight for a full sized model!!

Matt

Hi Joanne. I didn't realise that the 8x32 HD was out yet, so I imagine you must be one of the few people to have tried them. I can't find any specs for them yet either.

Did you try the 8x42 version while you were there? They are quite compact and light binoculars, not that much larger than some 8x32s. They have quite good eye relief (17.2mm), the eye cups appeared to open out as far as most other binoculars I have tried and, with the 5.2mm exit pupils, blackouts shouldn't be a problem. They are also very bright and clear, so they should work well in poor light.

I can't comment on the 8x32s as I know nothing about them but if you haven't tried their larger brother it might be worth doing so, although I am not sure if they are still available until the updated model appears.

Edit. I see Matt has beaten me to it and said most of what I have just written.

Ron

Well you were only one number out Joanne, lol. I hadn't noticed the problem you had with the eye cups and black outs. It could be a matter of adjustment or it could be that they just don't suit you. It just shows that you should always try them for yourself.

I imagine that they were the original version and don't forget that the updated model has the dioptre adjustment on the eyepiece now. It is possible that the latest eyecups will be a bit different anyway. They are due to be on sale in September so it might be worth waiting to see if they are an improvement for you.

Ron

Thanks Ron. They were the original version and I will take your advice to wait until next month.

Another question: will my birding cred be diminished by having RSPB bins? ;):'D

They actually look A LOT,like the Minox HG( and other MINOX series)...I wonder...One question,concerning the use of chemicals in the MINOX armor,and some foul smell in the same..Any report of the same issue in these binoculars?

Hi Everyone
Those attending the Birdfair this weekend will be able to try the new 8x32 HD's for the first time in the UK.

Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances we will not have a 8x42 or a 10x42 for some time. They are listed in the RSPB catalogue but this is simply as the RSPB have to work so far in advance for printing deadlines, had we known of the delay they would not have been included.

Between RSPB and Viking we have some exciting new products to show you at the Birdfair so we look forward to seeing you.

Tim
Viking Optical

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back