• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Italy bird guides? (1 Viewer)

Katy Penland

Didn't want to post this in the new books/magazines thread 'cause it's a query, not a recommendation. I did a search of BF for "Italy" and came up blank.

Wanting to know if there is a field guide especially for Italy birding. I have the "Birds of Europe" by Mullarney et al, which I'm told by other BFers is a great book, but as I'll be on the Amalfi coast for a couple weeks in July, wondered if there were any more specialized Italy field guides out there. (Not tour guides; not looking for an organized trip.)

Many thanks in advance!

Katy

Katy Penland said:
Didn't want to post this in the new books/magazines thread 'cause it's a query, not a recommendation. I did a search of BF for "Italy" and came up blank.

Wanting to know if there is a field guide especially for Italy birding. I have the "Birds of Europe" by Mullarney et al, which I'm told by other BFers is a great book, but as I'll be on the Amalfi coast for a couple weeks in July, wondered if there were any more specialized Italy field guides out there. (Not tour guides; not looking for an organized trip.)

Many thanks in advance!

Katy

Hi katy

I've birded Italy a few times and used the Collins guide you mention. Other Italian birders i came across used this guide as well. I never found anything better in the bookshops in Rome, but i stand to be corrected.
If you are looking for a few pointers on sites to go to when you are there then the "where to watch birds in Italy" is useful.

cheers, Brendan

Brendan Doe said:
Hi katy

I've birded Italy a few times and used the Collins guide you mention. Other Italian birders i came across used this guide as well. I never found anything better in the bookshops in Rome, but i stand to be corrected.
If you are looking for a few pointers on sites to go to when you are there then the "where to watch birds in Italy" is useful.

cheers, Brendan

I agree, there is nothing better. And if there were, it would be in Italian. Europe is a small continent, so you can expect many species over a wide area, and be it only as accidentals. Thus, the Collins guide or its Princeton equivalent are the best you can use. The LIPU/RSPB Where to watch... is not as detailed a book as you may find for other places, but it does give decent basic info on locations.

Thank you so much, Brendan and Swissboy! I will indeed check out your "where to watch" recommendation since I am completely unfamiliar with Italy. I've been all over Europe, but this will be my first time south of the Alps.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your info!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back