• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are there any Golden eagles left at Haweswater? (1 Viewer)

Jonny721

There was an article in a newspaper today saying that there is still a displaying male Golden Eagle at Haweswater. I don't believe this and want to know if I am right or not. As far as I know there hasn't been one there since 2007.

Yes there is still a male there. He`s about 13 now i believe and has been there since 2001 i think.

There`s an RSPB Viewpoint in Riggindale Valley open until the end of August-weekends and Bank Holidays (11-4)

cheers.

Jonny,

Why don't you believe it? I seem to recall the lone bird being reported in the last couple of years, but could be mistaken.

Regards,

Stephen.

Incidentally Jonny, in response to your Redstart and Pied Flycatcher question, i`d already mentioned a spot to see the Golden Eagle from the road. Glad you saw these birds in Naddle Wood but another ten minutes down the road could`ve produced the Golden Eagle.

cheers.

Thanks for the replies. I was probably being abit arogant as the only place that I get my reports from is Birdguides and it hasn't been reported on there since 2007. Where do the rest of you get your reports?

When I went up there last week I did stop off at the top end but couldn't see any sign of an eagle or any birders so assumed that it wasn't there. I may be going up next week-end so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the replies. I was probably being abit arogant as the only place that I get my reports from is Birdguides and it hasn't been reported on there since 2007. Where do the rest of you get your reports?

I suppose it's not on Bird Guides now as it's a resident , Jonny
Sandra

Last edited:
I heard the male died of old age two years ago which would account for no bird being their.It was on the news because it was the last Golden Eagle in England.

I heard the male died of old age two years ago which would account for no bird being their.It was on the news because it was the last Golden Eagle in England.

The old male died leaving the female in (or around) 2001 this current male remarkably arrived within 2 weeks of the old male`s passing.

It was hoped that a similar thing would happen when the female died in 2005 but no joy as yet, the male still displays and has even built a new nest throughout the winter.

It won`t show on Birdguides because he`s resident as already said.

It has been a Golden Eagle territory since the 60`s- there was another site by Ulverston but no young were fledged from here although eggs were laid a few times.

The last male (when he died) was the oldest known Golden Eagle.

cheers

When I went up there last week I did stop off at the top end but couldn't see any sign of an eagle or any birders so assumed that it wasn't there. I may be going up next week-end so fingers crossed.

If you park in the car park there`a map on the gate that tells you where the viewpoint is-it`s about a mile walk from there but it`s nothing too tough-good chance of seeing Buzzard/Sparrowhawk/Peregrine/Redstart and maybe Ring Ousel on the way.

The wardens are there on the weekends (11-4) and know his favourite perches/nest site etc.

cheers.

I took a look up there today.

The Golden Eagle turned up just on que. Wached him for about fifteen minutes as he lifted from a tree on the left of the valley up to the peak on the right.

Also a Goosander on the lake, plenty of Wheatear showing well, Redstart and a few others I've yet to ID.

Well worth the trek and hope to visit again soon.

Derek

Well done Derek. I went up yesterday but didn't see the bird for the hpur I was there. It had been seen earlier though. Not a bad Weekend on the lakes though. Saw Osprey, Crossbill, Dipper, Raven and Little Owl.

I visited Haweswater on Monday 3 August and scoped Riggindale from the road.
After half an hour the golden eagle appeared at the top of the ridge, flew right and then went down. Had good scope views.

Hi,

Going to try for the Golden Eagle tommorrow and was just after a few pointers as the wardens won't be there to help! Are there any particular perches I should be checking? A particular time of the day he shows best or any alternate viewpoints if he fails to show from the main one?

Any help would be greatley appreciated as I'll be driving a long way and really don't want to miss out.

Cheers

you might be intersted in Call of the Eagle by Dave Walker (published by Whittles Publishing, £16.99) which tells the story of the Lakeland eagles over the last 30 years.

Gordon

you might be intersted in Call of the Eagle by Dave Walker (published by Whittles Publishing, £16.99) which tells the story of the Lakeland eagles over the last 30 years.

Gordon

Thanks for the tip, you can pick this book up for £8ish plus postage just do a google search . Mine is now on the way. Thanks.

I might have to take a trip to Haweswater soon.

Is the Golden Eagle still around??? Is it better to go at weekends when the viewpoint is open or can I go midweek and watch it from nearby???

Just wondered as I didn't manage to get G E when I was in Scotland a couple of years back and would love to see one (this one being a lot nearer if it's still around!!)

Any help or info would be appreciated!!

Cheers

It is still present I was there a couple of weeks ago and had great views. I would say it is better to go at the weekend as the RSPB staff know where all the birds favourite perches are so can usually locate it quite quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back