• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shanghai Airport (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
I might be stopping off for a few hours in Shanghai in early October en route to New Zealand. Is there anywhere I can reach for a bit of birding - preferably with photographic possibilities - for a couple of hours? In theory I'll be there for about 7 hours but with luggage reclaim/checking back in I'll probably only have 2 hours birding at most.

There are two - and they're on oppsite sides of town. Pudong is the new airport, used for most international flights. Hongqiao is the old airport, used mostly for domestic flights, plus some inter-Asian flights.

Hi Clive,

If you find yourself with only minutes free - Last time I was in PuDong I managed to photograph red-rumped swallow from the comfort of an airport cafe! Quite a few flying around the terminal building.

kevin

Probably will only be minutes. In theory I'm there for a few hours but I've got to collect all my baggage and check it all in again so I'll probably have very little time free after all that. It's probably just as well, the last thing I want to do is get lost and miss my flight in a country where no-one speaks the same language as me and I don't have any money.

Just a quick follow-up to this thread, because I was a transit passenger to New Zealand I was shepherded into the departure lounge and didn't get the chance to leave the airport for any birding which was a shame. Through the window I saw House Sparrows, a distant heron which may have been a Chinese Pond perhaps, a few very distant gulls and a couple of shrikes which I took to be Brown but may have been something else.

Hi Clive

Sorry you never made it out of the terminal. Regarding your shrike observations, for what it's worth, after several trips to China, I've always found long-tailed to be relatively common. Not saying this is what you saw of course, but would suggest this to be a strong contender.

kevin

Hi Clive,
I am afraid you wouldn't have been allowed out of the terminal without a Chinese Visa. You would also be surprised just how many Chinese do spoeak English, particulary in Shanghai.

Believe your House Sparrow would be a Tree Sparrow, China is a strong hold for Tree Sparrow's not so many House though. Agree that shrike would be Long Tailed, they are very common around Pudong airport. Pond Heron also very likely

Have a good time in New Zealand

Cheers
Nick

Thanks for the replies about the shrikes and sparrows. I'm afraid I, er, accidentally packed my bins into my hold luggage and so couldn't use them at Shanghai so the views I got were poor, hence my uncertainess about my IDs. Bit of a shame really because even from my confined position I may have been able to pick out a few interesting birds, since the airport terminal is enormous.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back