• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

any good mid-size Bushnell (1 Viewer)

SPARTACVS

Hi,

I just started working part time in an outdoor sport store. I'm thinking of buying a mid-size binocular for the gloves compartment in the car and maybe to carry when I can take bigger than my compact but my full size will be too much..

I have looked at the 8x32 and 7x36. I'm thinking more of an 8x32 as it would be a good inbetween my old Bushnell Audubon 7x26 and my new Legend porro 8x42.

Right now I'm looking at any idea and opinion.

Thanks

P.s. Only Bushnell is available for me at good prices.

Tero has always like his Legend 8x32. I think that's only in camo now.

The 7x36 didn't get a great initial review here. And I didn't like the 8x36 Excursions I tried: too much CA.

You might also look at the Legend HD 8x42. Bigger than you are considering but rather lightweight too so it might feel like a compact. I think FrankD eventually came to like the view on that one.

Search for the reviews here on that latter two.

And finally the Elite 8x42 does feel like a large compact (and you might get a decent discount on it) though KDGast might prefer you to buy his one (for a rather good price!).

They are made in China (except the Elite 8x43) you know ... ;)

Last edited:
I think FrankD eventually came to like the view on that one.

That's quite an endorsement! It sends me running away screaming!
I like the 8x32 Legend, but it is certainly not lightweight, or very small, for an 8x32. Haven't tried any of Bushnell's more recent low-end roofs.

--AP

The new Legend HD is pretty light weight in 8x42. I don't know how compact it feels in hand.

There really should be more 8x32s out there, as they sell well. The bird feed store here in town sells a bunch of 8x32 Eagle Optics Rangers. They have both 8x42 and 8x32, both sell.

The Bushnell Excursion 8x32 is pretty good for the price, but not sure of the durability of the eye cups.

That's quite an endorsement! It sends me running away screaming!

Come on now Alexis. I thought we were friends....

:)

I liked the view through the Legend Ultras better than the Excursion EX 7x36s though I am sure either would satisfy the average user. My Legend Ultra is actually up for auction on Ebay as we speak. I ended up putting a very small tear in the left rubber eyecup so it could not be returned.

Not considering the open-bridge ED bins I think the Legend Ultra is more of the natural progression of the $300 roof. Very good centerfield sharpness and CA control with a nice, wide field of view. Edges were less than ideal but I did not find them distracting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back