• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich for 1 day--any suggestions ? (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
We are travelling for a wedding and staying at the Holiday Inn (near the airport) early September.
We arrive Friday lunch and leave Sunday
Saturday is the wedding and we would like to 'see/do' something either on the Friday or before heading back on the Sunday (hangover allowingB :)).
As we won't have much time it would ideally be close or on the way back 'north'.
Perhaps a reserve ?
There are 3 of us who all enjoy bird watching but are open to alternative suggestions.
Thanks

On the theory that you'd rather be birding than driving I'd say you want reasonably close. That's either Strumpshaw Fen (c30mins away) or Cley (around 1hr).
http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/s/strumpshawfen/directions.asp
http://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/nature reserves/map-links/cley.htm

Thanks for those pointers-they both look good:t:
On the basis that I will have both wife & sis-in-law (who both enjoy a bit of bird watching) and will only have time for 1 of the reserves-which do you recommend at this time of year ?

While in Norwich make an excuse to leave the wedding festivities for an hour and have a quick ramble through earlham park ( university grounds ) through the small wood and around the lake. Always throws up a surprise or two, a negelected little gem of a place.

I'd go for Cley -better birds, better facilities, and you won't need to negotiate the ring road to get there.

Thanks to all for the advice.
The Cley web site makes it look favourite........do you think its worth lugging my 500mm along or will the 100-400 suffice?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back