• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Examples of Hardwood trees in NY State? (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Hey, I was wondering is anyone (esp. MFrankis) could provide examples of hardwood trees in the state of New York. We have Ruffed Grouse, and a Pileated Woodpecker, and the Sibley books say that these two thrive in Hardwood forests.

Can anyone provide examples?

Thanks, all!

gthang

Last edited:
gthang said:
Hey, I was wondering is anyone (esp. MFrankis) could provide examples of hardwood trees in the state of New York. We have Ruffed Grouse, and a Pileated Woodpecker, and the Sibley books say that these two thrive in Hardwood forests.

Can anyone provide examples?

Thanks, all!

gthang

Examples of hardwood trees: oaks, maples, ash, beech, poplars. Basically broad-leafed, deciduous trees.

You can find Ruffed Grouse in forests dominated by oaks and maples as is common in parts of the NE USA such as NY state.

Dalcio

dacol said:
Examples of hardwood trees: oaks, maples, ash, beech, poplars. Basically broad-leafed, deciduous trees.

You can find Ruffed Grouse in forests dominated by oaks and maples as is common in parts of the NE USA such as NY state.

Dalcio
Yeah, I know we have hardwood trees, but what's an oak, maple, etc?

Try County Agent for possible booklet on ID'ing Trees.

South of Millbrook, NY, near Innisfree, was a County Agent on Route 44 near 82A intersection.

If that fails, Peterson has a Field Guide with a wealth of information.

Hi Gthang,

Post pics of the ones you want identified, and I'll do my best!

Close-up pics of leaves on a twig with flowers / catkins / seeds are the best

Michael

Michael, you got your wish, I found a teeny-tiny cone (coniferous tree) in the yard, near a row of trees.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back