• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boston in Winter (1 Viewer)

of2748

Olly Fox
Hi All,

I have a work trip to Boston planned for the first week in December, I realise this is not the best time to be travelling in terms of migrants but I hope to spend some time out in the field - weather permitting.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can let me know if there are some sites I should head as, presumably, there will be some wintering species (ducks etc.) around the area. I'll have a few days free but can only travel by public transport - I won't be hiring a car. I thought a train ride to Portland may be productive.

Is snow pretty much guaranteed for this time of year?

Look forward to hearing your suggestions,

Olly

Try Fresh Pond in Cambridge for ducks
Castle Island in South Boston is also good for ducks

Unfortunately both locations are off the subway lines though bus service may be possible. check Massbird.org for organized bird walks (Menotomy Bird Club, Brookline Bird Club

Let us know if you have further questions
Neil

Hi Olly

Check out this page for interesting birding locations in Massachusetts

Massachusetts Hotspots

Snow is definitely not guaranteed for the first week in December

Cheers, Harold

Thanks for the local info,

There looks to be a large number of sites along the coast - maybe I'll hire a car for the week to get the best out of them.

Cheers,

Olly

There looks to be a large number of sites along the coast - maybe I'll hire a car for the week to get the best out of them.

Cheers,

Olly

That's a good idea. During cold spells birding can be a little frustrating but there are some very nice areas within 1 to 1,5 hours from Boston.

Hiring a car is a good move. With personal transport, you could visit Parker River National Wildlife Refuge in Newburyport, MA. Birding is pretty good there year round. The Audubon Sanctuary at nearby Joppa Flats does occasional organized outings to Parker River.

Cheers,

Olly

Don't forget the other Boston when you get back. Gibraltar Point just down the road, RSPB Freiston and Frampton on the doorstep and RSPB Snettisham and Titchwell just round the corner. Lakenheath and Welney are also not too far away.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back