• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED Glass in the Pentax SP Line ??????? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I have read in a old post about ED glass being used in the Pentax SP's. Does anyone know if its true ? If so why is it not mentioned in the Specs like the newer ED put out by Pentax ?

Perhaps because it's not true?

I have an 8x32 SP and from it's view I think I could be sure that it doesn't have ED glass in the objective. Too much CA.

The specifications for the binoculars in the DCF ED line are virtually the same as for the DCF SP's with the exception of 0.3 - 0.8 ounces more (depending on size) for the ED's due to the extra weight of the ED glass.

As Kevin said, no ED glass in the SP's.

Mike

I remember those posts gcole and actually saw an advertisement from Pentax (pre-ED days) where they touted ED glass in their designs. I wish I still had the magazine.

...but as Kevin referenced the SPs certainly do show CA.

I wonder if they started to use some other "exotic" glass in the EP design (say LaK) and someone decided that "ED" was code for "exotic" glass.

Just speculation. But I've seen that mistake made before.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back