• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesvos autumn 2009 - bird news (1 Viewer)

Steve Dudley

aka The Toadsnatcher
United Kingdom
Lesvos resident Terry Robinson has sent me the first of what I hope will be regular reports from the island for this autumn.

Terry is based at and concentrates mainly on the Polichnitos Saltpans so most of his records are for this area. Waders are beginning to come through, including the autumn.s first Broad-billed Sand, and a few passerines also trickling through.

Full details at www.lesvosbirding.com.

For those of us going out this autumn this is likely to be the only news we get from the island. And if you are going out (I'll be out there 17-24 Sept) then please feel free to email me your records, or text me (see here for my details) and please pop your records in the Lesvos Birding log at Hotel Pasiphae in Skala Kallonis.

Let me know if you are going out. It would be interesting to know how many folk are going to be out there this year.

A few more snippets of news coming in from the island now there are folk there. Nothing major seen (yet!), but the first autumn rains have brought in more waders at both Kalloni and Polichnitos Saltpans, and Metochi Lake is holding water and attracting birds - this will probably be one of the major autumn sights if it continues to hold water. More info at www.lesvosbirding.com.

A little more news from the island.

The autumn rains appear to have arrived early this year which regular rainfall for the last week.

A few raptors on the move at the weekend, but no real numbers seen this autumn yet.

More info at www.lesvosbirding.com.

I'm just back from Lesvos having spent what was the slowest autumn week I've ever had on the island. My trip report can be seen here.

If you were out there this autumn, please send me any interesting records - see here for more details.

I'll put a September summary on the website as soon as I get promised records from those I saw out there last week, but highlights included Red-necked Grebe (only the third post-2000 record), White Pelican (2), Booted Eagle (2), Pallid Harrier, Caspian Tern (2), Common Gull (only the 6th record if confirmed), Wryneck, Roller.

I've now posted a summary of September sightings on the Lesvos Birding website.

It wasn't a classic month by any means but there was just enough to keep those of us out there keen! Most folk managed to see one of the White Pelicans and the Red-necked Grebe (only the sixth record). You'll have to look at the summary for the other goodies reported.

If you have any records for September (or any from other months) then please forward them to me and I will add Sept records to this summary and others will be used for the 2009 annual report I'm just starting work on. Thanks.

Terry Robinson continues to enjoy his solo status down at Poli Pans and his autumn finds continue to tot up. Today he found a late Wryneck, the other day an Eastern Stonechat (first for the island if accepted by HRC) and last week a record count of Slender-billed Gulls for the island.

As ever I continue to post anything Terry sends me, including photos, on Lesvos Birding.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back