• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

best cassette recorder for birdsong recording ? (1 Viewer)

skutchia

Hello there...
Would anybody be able to recommend a decent cassette recorder for use with bird recording? I used to use a heavy Marantz PMD somethingorother and went to minidisk which I can't stand anymore because it's way too fiddly...
I'm considering a cheap option of the Sony TCM-450DV but I'm not sure how well that would work with my Sennheiser ME66 microphone.
Would appreciate any comments from anyone still out there using cassettes,
Cheers
David
www.skutchia.com

Hi David,
The first question has got to be WHY cassette? I believe the Sony you're quoting is a voice recorder anyway, and not suitable for recording bird song. I can understand you're problem with minidisc, but why not go for one of the digital card recorders? A few suitable models can be found in the list on this page:
http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/index.html
You've got a good mic with I assume a K6, which really needs a recorder that will do it justice.
Max

Hi Max,
Thanks very much for your comments and the useful link...basically I just like using cassettes and am being an old fogey and resisting till the bitter end.
If there was still a good cassette recorder out there i would get one but it seems like there isn't really anything now...i've seen other birders using the sony in the field but not sure if it would be any good at recording. I've definitely had it with minidisk but will take yr comments on board and have a good think about going digital at last...
cheers
David
www.skutchia.com

Get with it David! Digital is the way to go man... If you don't want something expensive you could get an old iPod Video off ebay and add a Griffin iTalk like this: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/italkpro. I don't find it that fiddly to use though you might have to bite the bullet and get some specs for reading the screen!

I don't know if you would need a pre-amp for the Sennheiser mike though. Maybe someone else can help with that point.

Sean

ok ok i get the point...i'm giving in. And yes I now have glasses to read any manual around. I've actually already got a ''pre-amp'' , and i'm very seriously thinking about an edirol, so there..

Hi Max,
Hmm - i'd be interested to hear why you think this would be better than the Edirol . As you know I have a good external mic, a sennheiser me66 and k6....would this work well with the olympus? ( i guess you have one right? )
cheers david

Hi Max,
Hmm - i'd be interested to hear why you think this would be better than the Edirol . As you know I have a good external mic, a sennheiser me66 and k6....would this work well with the olympus? ( i guess you have one right? )
cheers david

Hi David,
Yes, it would, and yes, I do have one! To some degree this has to be a personal opinion. I think the LS-10 is not only a good recorder, but it's main advantage is it's size. You can slip in your shirt pocket and take it anywhere with no problem (I do this a lot; it gets more use than my better gear). You can use your ME66/K6 combo with it, plus a pair of headphones, and you've got a more comprehensive set-up.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the Edirol (I'm assuming you mean an R-09HR) but the LS-10 is cheaper and smaller. The LS-11 is about to hit the shops, so the LS-10 will become even less expensive I imagine.
Max

ok Max many thanks for the clear and helpful comments...i've just gone and bought one!!
cheers david
ps- it was 198 quid on amazon by the way...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back