• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beijing - Brown Eared Pheasant (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
My wife and I are considering a trip to NE China in May 2010, but we need a local guide to help us find Crossoptilon mantchuricum in Beijing Municipality.

Thanks for any advice.

Richard

Wish I had some hot tips for you - only know the name that I've heard is Jesper Hornskov who lives in Beijing. Sorry I've had no direct experience nor know his contact info, but he seems to be familiar with birds in the area (his name is on many reports and he is a tour leader in China).

Perhaps others will have more ideas...

Hi Richard,

Very difficult bird to see though I have seen it at Xiaolongmen, very good birding and still it appears, one of the best localities for this species. Suggest you contact Li Ming, username xiaoming for advice as he has good contacts within China Bird Report team perhaps Liu Yang.

Mark

Thanks Gretchen & Mark.

I'd already asked Jesper. But he reckoned that although Xiaolongmen was a reliable site until quite recently (I know that Dave Showler and Tim Allwood saw them there in 2005), there's now heavy road traffic at the site, making success unlikely even with a couple of hard days' fieldwork.

Richard

Richard,

If you find out a good site away from this thread could you post it here or PM me - There is a possibility that Pete Morris and I may be looking for them late May next year.
Cheers, alan

Richard,
If you find out a good site away from this thread could you post it here or PM me - There is a possibility that Pete Morris and I may be looking for them late May next year.
Cheers, alan
OK Alan, no problem. But presumably Pete knows where Hannu Jännes targets the species on Birdquest's N China tour (in the Wuling Shan area?). Or is that site also now unreliable?

Richard

In the last few years there have been few submitted records it seems from recent CBR's. The numbers were always quite good in this area, also being part of Mentougou district, as is Xiaolongmen. The Beijing birders through xiaoming I think would be your best bet.

I also searched in the Wuling Shan area (failed), great birding but very popular with 'local' visitors, prone to a lot of noise and disturbance, the pheasants are there though! a mid week visit perhaps?

Last edited:
OK Alan, no problem. But presumably Pete knows where Hannu Jännes targets the species on Birdquest's N China tour (in the Wuling Shan area?). Or is that site also now unreliable?

Richard

Richard - the trip is a bit speculative at present so we haven't asked Hannu - judging by the amount of time BQ reserve to see it (about 4-5 days?) it doesn't seem to be to easy!

cheers, alan

Hi Richard

You could try Pangquangou in Shanxi province (a couple of hours W of Taiyuan the capital - a shortish train ride (in Chinese terms) away), which Bird Quest visited in 2007 and saw the bird.

I took a client here to see this bird in October 1995. He saw it. I didn't. It still hurts. Unfortunately I haven't been back since, so don't have much in the way of useful information, but it may be a better bet than Dongling.

Cheers
Mike

Many thanks, Mike & Li Ming.

It's clear that Brown Eared Pheasant is a difficult species to find around Beijing nowadays, and I can see that it's probably unrealistic for us to expect to see it in a quick visit.

Anyway, thanks again to all who've replied.

Richard

Richard, from HJ's trip report on the BQ website:

"Next day we started early and headed for Xiaolongmen Forest Reserve, a stronghold of the endangered Brown-eared Pheasant. Due to the swine flu panic the park, like all minor tourist sites in the Beijing area, was officially closed to foreigners, but thanks to our early arrival, there was no one to stop us entering. Once inside, we quickly walked up a narrow valley that I had scouted on my recce, and we soon located a pair of magnificent Brown-eared Pheasants lurking in cover, but showing very well on the occasions when they emerged briefly. We admired these splendid birds for some time before realising that they had a couple of chicks with them causing us to immediately
leave them in peace..."

Set your alarm!
Cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back