• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Scrub Warblers in Morocco (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of updating my 'Finding Birds in Morocco' books based mainly on a month I spent there this year. However, I didn't make it as far as Goulimine (=Goulimime or Guelmim) so I'm wondering whether anyone has any up-to-date news on Scrub Warblers in that area. Has anyone seen them at the site 7km south of Goulimine since I last had them there in 1994? If not, has anyone had them anywhere else (for example, along the Jbel Bani route)?

Thanks

Dave Gosney

Hi Dave

I checked the 7k from Goulimime site in January and saw none.
In fact in two trips this year, that one and in March, I did not see the species anywhere and it is now obviously much scarcr than it was. I did not see it in 2007 either.

Steve

We also didn't see them here in Feb, although we didn't spend very long here to be fair. And we didn't see them anywhere else (between Agadir and Aousserd), nor did we see any at any sites during our last visit in April '07 (we didn't visit the site south of Guelmim on that occasion). Seen them in Tunisia luckily...
Cheers.

Thanks everyone. They're obviously not as easy as they as they used to be. Sue Bryan's report also mentions a site 29km south of Tan Tan. Presumably the ones in Algeria wouldn't be of the race theresae which is of particular interest because it may be split as 'Streaked' Scrub Warbler.

Presumably the ones in Algeria wouldn't be of the race theresae which is of particular interest because it may be split as 'Streaked' Scrub Warbler.
Dave, I'd be interested to know who's suggested Scotocerca theresae as a potential split (and why).

I'm aware that Lee Evans splits S saharae (including ssp theresae) as 'African Scrub Warbler'.

['Streaked Scrub Warbler' is already widely used as the English name for for S inquieta (sensu lato) - eg, by Dickinson 2003 (H&M3), Clements, BirdLife International, HBW, ABC, OBC.]

Richard

Last edited:
Hi Dave
we had them a couple of years in a row (Nov 05 and Nov 06 i think) near Guelmim. I thought it was north of the town as we headed back to Agadir, but i maybe wrong. Its a site Bryan Bland has used on his autumn Sunbird tour before. We searched the area for about half an hour and saw nothing, then we tried playback and saw 2 birds almost instantly. All i remember from the site is it being a bridge over an Oued (which had water in both times - which doesnt narrow it down i know!) within 10km of Guelmim and it was necessary to walk a short distance from the road to reach the drier scrub. I will try and find my Morocco map and find the exact location.
Best wishes
James

I saw them there a couple of years back - nice photographs and all. Click onto my website and then Morocco trip report for full details of all sightings (17th December).

Last edited:
Hi Richard,

Oops it's an error on my part I'm afraid. Caused by adding 2 and 2 and getting about 7. But if Scrub Warbler does get split, it seems strange that the most distinctive-looking race will remain lumped with saharae.

cheers

dave

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back