• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antrim visit (1 Viewer)

Mad_Sunday

We will be over for a family visit/wedding from next Friday 2nd October. Last time I did a bit of birding in the province I had a couple of visits to the RSPB reserve in Belfast. That is a great venue but a bit of a trip and I wondered if anyone could suggest somewhere nearer to Ballymoney, preferably with a hide, as I like to do a bit of Photo snapping too. I understand there is a hide at the bar mouth but it's locked?

Any suggestions?

Pete

It is a good spot especially in autumn, but as you say there is a key. I remember reading where you could get it, but cant remember. Suggest you try the tourist info in Coleraine or the UWT in Crossgar. the other option is the Myroe levels near Limavady where you use your car as a hide. Other than that you are South to Lough Neagh and the hides at Oxford Island but that is nearly as far as Belfast!!

It is a good spot especially in autumn, but as you say there is a key. I remember reading where you could get it, but cant remember. Suggest you try the tourist info in Coleraine or the UWT in Crossgar. the other option is the Myroe levels near Limavady where you use your car as a hide. Other than that you are South to Lough Neagh and the hides at Oxford Island but that is nearly as far as Belfast!!

Thanks for the advice Derek, thats a few options I can mull over.

Pete

Having a good time so far on our visit. We went to Belfast reserve Monday..... yes I know now that the main hide/visitor centre is closed on Monday :( oh well at least the roadside hide was accessible and I managed to get a few photos (theres one of a Redshank on my gallery), we saw Redshank, Bar/Blacktailed Godwit, Curlew, Shellduck, plus plenty of Gulls and Teal etc. but the best show was put on by a nice Peregrine diving through the waders. We then went to Oxford Island, but that was a bit of a disappointment (ie no waders, but plenty of ducks but a long way out) but was pleasantly surprised to see Ruddy Ducks.
Yesterday I got a key from Portstewart strand National Trust office for the hide at the Barmouth. There we saw a large flock of Golden Plover plus lots of Redshank, Dunlin, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Gulls etc.
Today we tried the Myroe levels near Limavady. After getting a good ear bending by the local farmers for being on "private land" (we were between the Sea wall and the "moat" just inland from it and parked at the far end by the railway, where the rivers flows in) but they did let us stay, once I explained we were on holiday and bird watching. Plenty of birds on the mud as the tide went out but the best bird was a Merlin we found as we we leaving. It was on the turf fields close to the "T" junction where the road in meets the sea wall tracks, and about 30 yards from us. It was eating a small bird, and I was able to view it from the car for maybe 30 secs before it carried it's lunch 200 yards across the field and continued eating it.
Going back to Belfast tomorrow so I can hopefully take some more pictures.

Thanks for the tips, Pete

Last edited:
Having a good time so far on our visit. We went to Belfast reserve Monday..... yes I know now that the main hide/visitor centre is closed on Monday :( oh well at least the roadside hide was accessible and I managed to get a few photos (theres one of a Redshank on my gallery), we saw Redshank, Bar/Blacktailed Godwit, Curlew, Shellduck, plus plenty of Gulls and Teal etc. but the best show was put on by a nice Peregrine diving through the waders. We then went to Oxford Island, but that was a bit of a disappointment (ie no waders, but plenty of ducks but a long way out) but was pleasantly surprised to see Ruddy Ducks.
Yesterday I got a key from Portstewart strand office for the hide at the Barmouth. There we saw a large flock of Golden Plover plus lots of Redshank, Dunlin, Curlew, Oystercatcher, Gulls etc.
Today we tried the flats near Limavady. After getting a good ear bending by the local farmers for being on "private land" (we were between the Sea wall and the "moat" just inland from it and parked at the far end by the railway, where the rivers flows in) but they did let us stay, once I explained we were on holiday and bird watching. Plenty of birds on the mud as the tide went out but the best bird was a Merlin we found as we we leaving. It was on the turf fields close to the "T" junction where the road in meets the sea wall tracks about 30 yards from us. It was eating a small bird, and I was able to view it from the car for maybe 30 secs before it carried it's lunch 200 yards across the field and continued eating it.
Going back to Belfast tomorrow so I can hopefully take some more pictures.

Thanks for the tips, Pete

Hi Pete
Good report!
I Dont know the time / distance from your base but the harbour area and sea front at Newcastle was pretty good for close ups and photo opportunitys of waders such as Sanderling, Redshank, Knot, Sandpiper, Turnstone, Oystercatchers, Grey Heron etc. Dundrum a few miles nearer looks pretty good also.
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Dave, didn't get that far this time but I can hopefully try those places on our next visit. Went back to Belfast RSPB reserve again today and managed some more close range pictures, while the wife and her mum were at IKEA, just along the road!. Back home to Staffordshire Saturday, but we've have had a great time. Looking forward to next year when we will be back for another visit.

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back