• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A better Week For Gibraltar (1 Viewer)

tchagra

Hi There

Although not impressive number wise we had at last a better ringing week on the Rock from April 5th till April 11th.At last a good mix of trans-saharan migrants.,and the bonus of the African race of Chaffinch.Also a few firsts for the year in Pied Flycatcher,Garden Warbler,Reed Warbler and Tree Pipit.

NEW BIRDS RETRAPS

BLACKBIRD 2 2

BLACKCAP 11 4

BLUE TIT 0 1

BONELLIS WARBLER 21 0

CHAFFINCH ( AFRICANA) 1 0

COMMON CHIFFCHAFF 6 1

IBERIAN CHIFFCHAFF 1 0

GARDEN WARBLER 7 0

GOLDFINCH 1 0

GREAT TIT 1 0

GREENFINCH 4 0

HOOPOE 1 0

LINNET 1 0

NIGHTINGALE 8 0

ORPHEAN WARBLER 2 0

PIED FLYCATCHER 15 0

COMMON REDSTART 1 0

ROBIN 2 1

REED WARBLER 1 0

SARDINIAN WARBLER 0 9

SCOPS OWL 1 0

SERIN 1 0

SUBALPINE WARBLER 5 0

TREE PIPIT 1 0

COMMON WHITETHROAT 11 0

WILLOW WARBLER 30 0

WOODCHAT SHRIKE 2 0

TOTALS 137 18

Your Gibraltar Correspondent

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

Good to see that the ringing is looking good. That is hopefully a good omen for our visit in a few days time.

BTW can you recommend a good site relatively near to Gaucin for Scops Owl?

Thank you for the update Ricardo.

I especially like the results for the Pied Flycatchers as I'm hoping they return to my area this year.

Re Pied Fly.

IanF said:
Thank you for the update Ricardo.

I especially like the results for the Pied Flycatchers as I'm hoping they return to my area this year.

Hi Ian

I remember when I had my nature reserve in Wales,the Males were inspecting my bird boxes in early April.

Cheers

Ricardo

It was 3rd May last year before we first found them, though Wood Warbler were around on 26th April so there is chance they may be around. I'll be having a look this weekend.

Re Scops

Reader said:
Hi Ricardo

Good to see that the ringing is looking good. That is hopefully a good omen for our visit in a few days time.

BTW can you recommend a good site relatively near to Gaucin for Scops Owl?

Hi Reader

Sorry cannot help on that one,I have got a little lazy on the Scops Owl front!!!

We ring a few on Gibraltar in Spring and Autumn and I get to hear and ring the odd one on Spanish mainland too.

Best bet is to get out at dusk and an hour before first light in what looks like suitable habitat and listen for the distinctive call.,Scops is a widespread breeder down here.

A tape usually gets a reply too!!!!

Cheers for now

Ricardo

re Pied Fly

IanF said:
It was 3rd May last year before we first found them, though Wood Warbler were around on 26th April so there is chance they may be around. I'll be having a look this weekend.

Hi Ian

remember that the first Pied Fly slip in quietly and will not start singing immediately,so not so easy to find,keep a sharp eye out for them.

Cheers

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

We are staying in what I would call an ideal place for Scops. I have stayed in that area before but never heard them. Oh well!! I will have to hope that I come across them somewhere.

As yet I have never had them in Spain but have caught up with them quite a few times on various Greek Islands.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back