• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch vs Cascades vs Others (1 Viewer)

Have to say it's a great time to be a birder with the fantastic assortment of sub $500 roofs available these days. But I did have a question I wanted to post to those more learned than myself.

My primary optics are Leica Ultravids, 8x42, and the family has three other 8x42s we use at our main residence and our mountain home, so everything 'floats' between the homes, save the Leicas, which I always have with me.

Our three other bins are a year old Nikon Monarchs, a new set Leupold Cascade and an even newer (just acquired) Vortex Diamondbacks. I use the Leupolds extensively in heron watching up in the mountains, the better half considers the Nikons 'hers' and our boy uses the Diamondbacks.

Reason I'm writing, is the seemingly almost insignificance in the view between all four of these binoculars. Granted, they're all the same power and have specs that are very similar (big reason for this selection) but I'm still shaking my head at just how 'universal' the look is between them all. Granted, the Leica can still 'wow' me occasionally, but I'll always wonder now why I spent more on that one set than the entire batch of others cost me put together! And Leupold and Vortex's warranties are actually better. And, I did have to send the Ultras back once...they're the original NON-HD version and the armoring came loose. No issue, they took care of me, new binocs, new warranty, but that did make me pause about spending $2k for something that more 50 year old eyes just cannot always make out the difference, especially compared to what is available today for less than $300.

My question is really two, one technical, one non-technical:

1--I know who makes my Leicas and my Nikons. Who makes the Leupolds and who makes the Vortexes?

2--Is it just me or have the new offerings just gotten that much better? Of the three other bins, I'm particular to the Leupolds and the Vortexes and I'm still surprised about that.

Any comments from anyone, I'd appreciate in advance. Sorry for the 'general' posting in the Leupold group, but I didn't know where else to put it, and, I do use the Leupolds the most, so maybe it's the appropriate settings.

Many thanks!

I own two pairs of Leupolds and am impressed with the quality of their optics. Furthermore, I think Leupold has the best ergonomic binoculars made. No other binoculars feel as good in the hand as a pair of Leupold binoculars. Those guys are tops when it comes to ergonomic design. :t:

...Bob
Kentucky

1--I know who makes my Leicas and my Nikons. Who makes the Leupolds and who makes the Vortexes?

Not sure about the Cascades, either Japan or China, but the Diamondback is Chinese. Only the Viper level and above for Vortex are made in Japan.

Not sure about the Cascades, either Japan or China, but the Diamondback is Chinese. Only the Viper level and above for Vortex are made in Japan.

The Leupolds are definitely Japanese; marked at the hinge. Diamondbacks similarly marked along the same bottom hinge area, Made in China. I was wondering more specifically, which manufacturer. I'd heard the Leupolds were very similar to Opticron's Japanese imports. Kowa, maybe?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back