• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Name that fin - Oz (1 Viewer)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
Hey all

Bit of a longshot - Seen swimming out of Buffalo Creek, Darwin. All I got was that it was a dolphin and the only video I managed to shoot was of the fin disappearing. Looks wrong for Bottlenosed....any idea?

View attachment Cap0007.BMP

Cheers

Ads

rockfowl may well be right although I think I recall that the aussie humpback dolphins have been split into a new species in the last couple of years...

rockfowl may well be right although I think I recall that the aussie humpback dolphins have been split into a new species in the last couple of years...
Yep, the new' un is the Snubfin Dolphin, only described in 2005. It is reportedly not uncommon in Nthn Aus coastal waters.

but to clarify, the Snubfin was split from the Irrawaddy, not the Humpback. Both will likely be further split in the future

They should probably be split, but will they?

Marine Mammal taxonomy is HORRIBLY CONSERVATIVE; few people work in it and there is in general much less rigor to it than in for instance bird systematics. There are distinctive species level populations that have been known about for several decades, and still people are to scared to go that extra step and describe or redescribe these populations as species. Hell, people still recognize paraphyletic genera despite numerous studies that show they are paraphyletic.

Sure I've read that the Aus pop is currently under the Pacific Humpback and then there's Indian and Atlantic. Seen all in diff places as well as Snubfin and Irrawaddy so ticks all round! Split 'em all is my motto!!;)

They should probably be split, but will they?

Marine Mammal taxonomy is HORRIBLY CONSERVATIVE; few people work in it and there is in general much less rigor to it than in for instance bird systematics. There are distinctive species level populations that have been known about for several decades, and still people are to scared to go that extra step and describe or redescribe these populations as species. Hell, people still recognize paraphyletic genera despite numerous studies that show they are paraphyletic.

Hmm maybe I should do that marine biology OU degree I've considered over the years, go into cetacean taxonomy and then do what needs to be done naming a few after friends and family along the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back