• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Toft Newton reservior & Walesby Moor (1 Viewer)

intellectual

England
Hello everyone,

Arrived at Toft Newton reservoir about 14:00, from inside the car it looked a nice sunny day. Once we started walking around the perimeter the wind got up and it was quite cool and we had a job keeping the binos and scope still.

There was little on the water only a few Tufted Duck's and Black-headed Gull's.

I was beginning to think there was more trout fishermen than birds!

Then our luck changed and this is what we saw:

Sand Martin - 80+ [ flying over the water ]
Yellow Wagtail - 30+ [ the grassbank at the northern end was alive with them ]
Pied Wagtail - 20 to 30 [ they all seemed to be at the northern end ]
Goldeneye - 4 [ flew in about 15:00 ]
Tufted Duck
Black-headed Gull
Crow
Rook
Jackdaw
Goldfinch
Meadow Pipit
Coot
Starling
Pheasant
Swallow - 6
Mallard

We left at 15:20. And we were both well pleased at the amount of Yellow Wag's we had seen.

Next we went to a place neither of us had visited before, but had good info' for.

Walesby Moor [Forestry Land]. Arrived at 16:15. I was hoping to see the Grasshopper Warbler. This is what we saw:

Kestrel
Tree Pipit - 2 [ close-up views ]
Meadow Pipit
Linnet
Chaffinch
Swallow - 1
Rook
Crow
Wood Pigeon

The Tree Pipit was my first ever sighting, the two we saw were in a tree no more than thirty feet away.

We left at 17:20.

Another good days birding and I was looking forward to a fish,chips and peas supper on my return home.

Regards

Intellectual :clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back