• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

trip to Singapore (1 Viewer)

Bucko1983

Hello,

i am due to be in Singapore for three days in december on my way home from Australia and i have heard that it is possible to find Spotted Wood Owls in the botanical gardens. As i have my misses and my small daughter with me i'm thinking this will be a good place for us all to go and i can shoehorn some birdwatching in as well!!

Any info on whereabouts to look for these superb owls would be brillliant and also any other tips for birding in Singapore would also be mega helpful. i've heard that the helaconia garden in the Bot Gardens are really good for sunbirds. is this the case?

many thanks to anybody reading and helping

cheers
Karl

I saw one at dusk around the Eco Lake in the Botanical Gardens in June this year. It was calling quite loudly. That area of the gardens seemed to be the best for birding, with quite a bit to see.

Bucko - go to this website http://besgroup.talfrynature.com/ and ask in the comments section of the most recent post or use the contact feature I'm sure these guys will hook you up, between them they seem to know the 'pore like the back of their hand. They may also have some gen on some other interesting stuff in and around the BG for you as it seems to pick up some excellent birds now and again. If not they may also have tips for birding other touristy spots like the zoo/night safari or the touristy little island that I've forgotten the name of with the water park (roosting owls can be picked up at a number of these spots as well).

The BG is also a great place to spot paradise tree snake amongst other things.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back