PDA

View Full Version : Monitor calibration

thornlv
Friday 16th October 2009, 09:25
Hi All

I am starting to process my images with Photoshop CS3 and am aware that I need to calibrate my monitor so that when images are sent to a prints service, that they are close to the colors on my screen.

I just dont understand where I need to start, ie color profiles for camera, monitor and printer (as I would like to print a few of my own)

Without haveing to buy expensive equipment, is there a way to get a good aproximation, where do I start etc..

Many thanks.

hollis_f
Saturday 17th October 2009, 12:24
The most important thing is to get your monitor calibrated. For that you really can't beat using a proper, hardware, calibration tool. The Spyder 3 Express is about 70.

thornlv
Saturday 17th October 2009, 18:34
OK, looks interesting - how do these things work then (sorry, noob alert here), there are also quite a few Spyder 2's on oboy going cheap. Are these one shot uses, or something you need all the time. Have no experience of them.

hollis_f
Saturday 17th October 2009, 19:54
OK, looks interesting - how do these things work then (sorry, noob alert here), there are also quite a few Spyder 2's on oboy going cheap. Are these one shot uses, or something you need all the time. Have no experience of them.

I use a Spyder 2, don't know what improvements there are in v3.

You dangle the spider-type hardware thing in front of the screen and run the software. This puts various shades of colour onto the screen, which the hardware reads. It then uses the info to calibrate the screen. It's dead easy to use and they recommend re-calibrating every couple of months. But it's my experience that a calibration doesn't change that much with time.

I happen to have two Spyder 2s (one was an xmas pressie). What I'm planning on doing next time I visit home (where the second one lives) is offering a loan to BF members. Somebody runs a similar system on the Talk Photography forum. So keep an eye on BF for a posting from me - possibly in the middle of next week.

thornlv
Monday 26th October 2009, 12:28
Hey, thats a fantastic idea, I certainly would be interested in 'hiring'.

Steve Babbs
Friday 13th November 2009, 17:29
This callibration thing is doing my head in a bit so I'll join this thread. My Samsung monitor came with some calibrating software 'Natural Colour Pro'. Is the spyder going to work much better than the sotware? The main thing I want is the pictures on my screen to match those which come out of my printer, which they don't. In very simple language what is my best bet here? Do I have to adjust the printer?

JohnZ
Friday 13th November 2009, 18:03
You must have the correct profile for the paper you are using. I currently use Ilford paper and the profiles are available on the Ilford website.

GYRob
Friday 13th November 2009, 18:50
calibrating your monitor is not going to make it match your printer Unless by chance they happen to match .
I.e monitor, printer, paper ,ink just happen to all work to make it so, very doultfull .
Rob.

Steve Babbs
Friday 13th November 2009, 19:06
calibrating your monitor is not going to make it match your printer Unless by chance they happen to match .
I.e monitor, printer, paper ,ink just happen to all work to make it so, very doultfull .
Rob.

That was what I meant in the second part of my question. What do I do to get them as close as possible?

hollis_f
Friday 13th November 2009, 19:18
That was what I meant in the second part of my question. What do I do to get them as close as possible?

My Spyder 2 Suite has something that's supposed to match a printer to a calibrated screen. Never used it as I don't do my own printing.

Steve Babbs
Friday 13th November 2009, 19:21
My Spyder 2 Suite has something that's supposed to match a printer to a calibrated screen. Never used it as I don't do my own printing.

I might be getting there myself with Paintshop Pro it has a proofing function but the confusing thing is when I go to choose my printer there is a choice of 4 profiles.

GYRob
Friday 13th November 2009, 21:11

well as far as im aware you will just have to play with diffrent settings Trial and error .
or get the colormunki or something else that does monitor and printer callibration.
Rob.

JohnZ
Saturday 14th November 2009, 16:59
Right I will repeat. I have absolutely no problems with printing my own pics. I do not have an expensive printer, Canon ip5200. And at the risk of repetition you must have the correct profile for the paper you are using.

thornlv
Saturday 14th November 2009, 17:34
Opened a can of worms here, however I can say that using the Spyder 3 was a breeze and have to admit that my photos look pretty much the same as on my monitor, camera screen and photos I have had done at a processing lab - not tried the printer yet but will know I am going to have to trial and error paper, ink etc.

Steve Babbs
Saturday 14th November 2009, 18:56
Right I will repeat. I have absolutely no problems with printing my own pics. I do not have an expensive printer, Canon ip5200. And at the risk of repetition you must have the correct profile for the paper you are using.

Having the right profile for the paper doesn't solve the problem of what you see on your monitor matching what prints out. However important it is in other ways. I have the correct profile for my paper - I use canon photopaper pro with a canon ip6700 - but that doesn't tell the printer the settings are on your monitor.

JohnZ
Saturday 14th November 2009, 22:36
As far as I am concerned I get exactly the same on my monitor as that which I print.
Perhaps I am just lucky eh ?

Boy George
Sunday 22nd November 2009, 21:39
Having the right profile for the paper doesn't solve the problem of what you see on your monitor matching what prints out. However important it is in other ways. I have the correct profile for my paper - I use canon photopaper pro with a canon ip6700 - but that doesn't tell the printer the settings are on your monitor.

Steve,

I don't know how far you've progressed with this as your last posting is a few weeks old, but if it helps I picked this up from a photography magazine (for Canon DSLR users, I think) and have used it to good effect: "www.hex2bit.com/products/product_mcw.asp "

It may assist others anyway, if you have made progress with your own research.

Regards :t:

Adrian

Edit: Just found the original from the magazine and it is - http://tinyurl.com/mcwiz
I think they both end up in the same place though.