• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Giottos Head loose fitting (1 Viewer)

Bob Philpott

I use a Giottos CF Tripod with a VH6011 head (although the plate holder is labelled MH658D). Whilst I find the combination very good and light I did have a problem recently which I thought I ought to highlight in case it happens to anyone else.

I bought the tripod at the Bird Fair so havent had it that long. I was in Borneo 2 weeks ago when I found that the bolt holding the plate holder to the head had worked loose. All it needed was an allen key and 2 seconds work to tighten it. The repair kit supplied with the tripod does have an allen key but not that size. Luckily I was in the hotel grounds at the time and got hold of a caretaker. Had I been away from the hotel I could not have repaired it.

I know we all carry our scopes on the tripod head and probably shouldn't but it shouldn't have worked loose in a few weeks. I will now carry an additional allen key just in case or look at using a locktight liquid on the bolt.

I have also found that the plates themselves lose the handle from the tightening bolt. It is simple to use a coin instead but why?

This sounds like a moan about Giottos. It is but I still find this tripod excellent to use in the field.

Giottos Update

Can I just add to the above that following this entry I was contacted by the product manager for Giottos who has asked for further details.

I have seen that some of you have had issues with contacting certain manufacturers after a problem, that doesn't seem to be the case with Giottos.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back