• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Digital Camera Base (1 Viewer)

dutchderk

Does anyone have any experience with this type of digiscoping adapter? It's the one that flips up your camera. I think it might be very useful if you can switch quickly between camera and normal view. I'm not experienced at all so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to use it with a coolpix 4500.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

the cons with this adapter is that you have the digital camera permanently mounted to the scope. I prefer to have the camera proteced in a small bag and mounting it quickly when to take the photo. For the coolpix4500 i think there are better and cheaper alternatives.
This one is easy, quick and cheaper than the swarro adapter:
http://www.cyberphoto.se/kikare/focus/adapt.php
(only works for the ATS20-60Zoom eye piece and there are models for the zeiss and leica zooms as well)

Last edited:
gorank said:
the cons with this adapter is that you have the digital camera permanently mounted to the scope. I prefer to have the camera proteced in a small bag and mounting it quickly when to take the photo. For the coolpix4500 i think there are better and cheaper alternatives.
This one is easy, quick and cheaper than the swarro adapter:
http://www.cyberphoto.se/kikare/focus/adapt.php
(only works for the ATS20-60Zoom eye piece and there are models for the zeiss and leica zooms as well)

I looked at the site and unfortunately it's all in swedish. It looks like it's easy to attach the adapter to the scope. But how will it be fixed to the scope? And do you have to take off the rubber ring from the eyepiece? And the last question how can I order? Are there english sites that sell the same adapter?
Thanks in advance,
Best regards Derk

I have the Zeiss version of this, and it is fantastic. I will be putting up a review as soon as I have time.

As far as having the camera permenantly connected, with the Zeiss (I presume the Swarovski is similar) it just swings out of the way and you can use your scope.

One of the problems with tube adaptors (the cheaper alternative) is that you tend to have your camera connected all the time and birdwatch through that. With this type of adaptor just swing it out of the way and birdwatch. When a photo opportunity occurs just swing it back and hey presto all set up and away. Less than a quarter the time taken putting a camera even if the tube is already attached over the lens.

When you want to move hides, you can either lug it around camera in situ, or slacken one screw and remove the camera and stick it in your pocket. This way the camera is ready and useful to take pictures of the wife and kids, no ugly tube screwed onto it.

Other advantages are that the camera is not attached by the flimsy looking threaded lens. You can use full zoom on your eyepiece. With my Zeiss scope I regularly now take pictures at X60! Vignetting is almost nil even at the highest eyepiece magnification. Oh joy!! You can use them with lots of cameras without adaptors. Even camera's such as my Fuji 602 for which there is no Tube adaptor that I have found. Video camera's too although I don't have one so cannot test it.

Disadvantages it adds more weight to an already overweight setup... My poor back! Someone jokingly mentioned a golfing trolly. I think its not a bad idea after all. Second bad point is that they cost more than twice as much as a tube.

Go on assuming it swings away, and lets you use your scope buy one. Without one its either digiscoping or birding! With it you can do both!!!!!!!

My commission please.......

Thank you Mick for your explanation. I'm almost ready to order the Digital camera base. The only two things I'm concerned with are:
- Can you use this digital camera base with the stay on sleeve around your scope?
- Can you still attach shutter release cable (the mechanical one from Eagle Eye Optic Zooms.

dutchderk said:
Thank you Mick for your explanation. I'm almost ready to order the Digital camera base. The only two things I'm concerned with are:
- Can you use this digital camera base with the stay on sleeve around your scope?
- Can you still attach shutter release cable (the mechanical one from Eagle Eye Optic Zooms.

which products are Mick/you talking about ?? Im bit comfused here..
As far as I know the "Swaro digital camera base" is for swarovski:
http://www.eagleoptics.com/Swarovski/Spotting+Scopes/pid3897

and the "Zeiss quick camera adapter" works best for Zeiss but may not work for others:
http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A80033F8E4/allBySubject/290DF9861B36AF94C1256D0900328D1D

The "Focus digital adapter" is precision made to exactly fit the eye piece so there are a special version for each of the swarro and zeiss zooms only (leica and kowa zooms also). It "sucks" on the eye piece and you dont have to remove anything on the eye piece. (zooming is not possible when mounted). To remove it you just flip the adapter upwards.

Last edited:
dutchderk said:
Remember mine is the Zeiss quick adaptor!!

Yes the case can stay on the scope. I am not sure about the Swaro one, this seems to attach around the eyepiece which may mean that a case will not fit. Don't know.....

I use the eagle eye bracket with my Nikon 4500. The only quibble here is that the screw supplied with the zeiss bracket is just too short to go through the adaptor bracket and the cable bracket so I need to use the eagle eye screw on the camera and attach the zeiss adapter into that which makes a slightly less secure fixing than I like. But none the less it is quite firm.

My recommedation is to visit a retailer which sells both items and try them out. I have never used or seen (except on the internet) the swaro adaptor, so I am comparing mine with a picture!!!! I tried mine out first at a local dealer who was happy to let me play around with it.... After purchasing it, I have a two week return deal which meant I could return it for a refund if I wasn't happy. I am and I didn't!!

Last edited:
gorank said:
which products are Mick/you talking about ?? Im bit comfused here..
As far as I know the "Swaro digital camera base" is for swarovski:
http://www.eagleoptics.com/Swarovski/Spotting+Scopes/pid3897

and the "Zeiss quick camera adapter" works best for Zeiss but may not work for others:
http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A80033F8E4/allBySubject/290DF9861B36AF94C1256D0900328D1D

The "Focus digital adapter" is precision made to exactly fit the eye piece so there are a special version for each of the swarro and zeiss zooms only (leica and kowa zooms also). It "sucks" on the eye piece and you dont have to remove anything on the eye piece. (zooming is not possible when mounted). To remove it you just flip the adapter upwards.
I did say that I am using the Zeiss Quick camera bracket and not the Swaro. The Zeiss bracket appears quite universal. The scope attaches to the bracket and the bracket to the tripod. It is fully adjustable to fit all sizes and shapes.

I have studied the swaro adaptor on the internet and it seems to fit the swaro scope around the collar, and the camera swings up and down away from the eyepiece, whereas the Zeiss adaptor fits between scope and tripod. The zeiss adaptor also moves up and down, but only to suit either straight bodied or angled scopes. The Zeiss swings sideways to move the camera away from the eyepeice.

I am not sure what you mean by sucks to the eyepiece?? The camera is mounted over the eyepiece, not clamped to it. Just like pressing the camera against the lens and taking pictures that way. Just does away with needing six pairs of hands. Again I am talking about the Zeiss adaptor here, but the eyepeice is fully zoomable, nothing attaches to it.....

I asked swarovski and unfortunately the DCB is not usable in combination with the swarovski stay on bag. Gorang can you tell me more about the one you are using, how it is attached (is there any chance that your camera with adapter will fall of) and how you can order it (The site is in swedish)

Last edited:
dutchderk said:
I asked swarovski and unfortunately the DCB is not usable in combination with the swarovski stay on bag. Gorang can you tell me more about the one you are using, how it is attached (is there any chance that your camera with adapter will fall of) and how you can order it (The site is in swedish)

The adapter "vacuums" on the eye piece...the fit is very tight...so it stays on pretty good on an angled scope...but carrying the scope on the shoulder with adapter and camera mounted I wouldn't recommend...

Actually I dont use it myself but two of my friends do and they are very satisfied with it. I have tried it also and I think its better than most adapters I have seen. What is most important for me is that the adapter is easy and quick to mount/remove since birding is the main occupation for me.

I checked the cyberphoto-site but they dont deliver outside sweden/finland/norway...
I sent a mail to focustrading.se who makes the "focus-adaptor" but I havent heard from them yet...(out of office)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back