• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One day in Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

I'm going to be in San Jose on business in late November. I'll have a morning and then a full day free, and I'll rent a car. I'd like to see birds and, if possible, a volcano.

I hear that some areas are currently difficult/impossible to reach because of a recent earthquake.

Anyone have any tips and up-to-date info?

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Hi Jeff,

I was holding off, because I know there are lots of people on BF who know CR much better than I do - including a number of actual Ticos! But as none of them have chimed in yet, I'll have a go.

I did the drive from San Jose to Volcán Poás many years ago, and found it a worthwhile, if terrifying, drive (it was my first experience driving outside of Canada, after all). As the Lonely Planet guide so aptly puts it, it gives you "the opportunity to peer into an active volcano – without the hardship of actually hiking up one."

I know this area was one of those most affected by the earthquake, but I am given to understand that people are once again using the lodges up Poás way. That would imply that the road must be fixed, at least as far as the national park.

The view into the crater lake is awesome - no, really, in the original sense, not the surfer dude sense - and the habitat is pretty good up there (you get access to some elfin forest). Unfortunately for us, we spent very little time there , as we were only making a stop on the way to the Sarapiqui Valley (that road, I believe, is the one that's permanently closed), so we didn't get much birding in. (I only saw two life birds, but the s/o saw a huge raptor that I missed - she's pretty sure it was a Black Hawk-eagle! Speaking of awesome). I suspect that if we had spent the whole day there, I wouldn't have regretted it.

I think the Lodges in the area didn't even exist when I was there, so I can't really comment on them. But if you can get to one (for lunch, say), and it has a hummingbird feeder - well, that's an afternoon booked! Good chance of seeing a number of swifts up there too, if the conditions are right. (Getting an I.D. on these, on the other hand, can be a little frustrating.)

¡Suerte!

Peter C.

The area up to Poas is completely unaffected by the earthquake, I was up there a month ago and access is not a problem. Travelling north of the volcano takes you into the areas devastated by the earthquake and the road to where the hummingbird cafes used to be is totally gone, along with the cafes.

This is my account of my day on Volcano Poas...

1 September. Volcano Poas.

Slept in cabins just below the volcano summit, but how drab a start - only bird seen from my cabin window was a Rufous-collared Sparrow, not a good enough excuse for a sneaky lie-in. So it was, 5.20 a.m. again, out into the morning chills for an exploration of the forests towards the lip of Volcano Poas. A national park, the gates don't open till 8 a.m. but I was not too worried as (a) an excellent side track winds up through forest just before the park entrance and (b) feeling a right stooge that morning, I had no real desire to enter the actual park anyhow. So off I went, up the five kilometres of exceptional scenic road that separated my cabin and the summit. Sooty Robins on the slopes, Rufous-collared Sparrows hopping here and there and then a big thing swooped across the road and flopped into a tree. 'Hmm, what was that?' thought I, reversing back. Out of the car, strolled a few metres more and there sat my first Resplendent Quetzal of the trip, what a little corker, a male with half-length tail. Still too dark for any meaningful photographs, so remembered the spot and continued upward.

Parked near the entrance and began my walk in the cloud forests, a mean wind whipping round the top of this exposed peak, whisps of mist and cloud licking the tree tops, occasionally submerging all into a spooky gloom. Black-faced Solitaires popped up, feeding on berry bushes, plus many of the birds familiar from Cerro de la Muerte the day before - Black-billed Nightingale-Thrushes, Sooty-capped Bush-Tanagers, both Large-footed and Yellow-thighed Finches. Occasional flocks flitted through - Black-cheeked Warblers again, Collared Redstarts and Flame-throated Warbler. As the sun struggled to subdue swirling mists, new birds began to appear - right nice Purple-throated Mountain-Gems, a Mountain Elaenia and then a Brown-capped Vireo. A Black Guan cast a beady eye from aloft, splendid Black-and-Yellow Silky-Flycatchers sat upon overhead wires, yet more Black-faced Solitaires appeared. As 8.00 a.m. approached, I feared I may have actually ventured into the national park, so before I got nabbed, I beat a hasty retreat - back to the small parking area. A Purple-throated Mountain-Gem sunbathed in a low bush, a Golden-belied Flycatcher flitted out.

Unfortunately, time today was not on my side - 1 p.m. would see me waiting an incoming flight at the international airport, traveller number two arriving. Before that I did however have a few hours, so I decided to see how far I could go on the road up to Cinchona - a year previous, this would have taken you to a couple of superb cafes sporting some of the best hummingbird feeders in the country. An huge earthquake on the 9th January put an end to all that - the cafes are no more, destroyed along with hummingbird feeders and the entire road leading to them. Twenty kilometres I got, then the road came to an end, massive diggers and excavators clawing their way north, cutting a new path through the precipitous mountain slopes, currently a scene of devastation. Where patches of habitat remained, did a little birding along here - one absolutely stunning male Blackburnian Warbler, the only one I would see on the trip, plus both a Violet Sabrewing and a Scintillant Hummingbird.

Time to leave the slope and head for the airport, one Red-tailed Hawk on route, two Squirrel Cuckoos too. At the Resplendent Quetzal spot, I was pleased to find the single bird had morphed into a pair, two stunners for the price of one! Down at the airport, however, I was not so lucky - the incoming plane had been cancelled! Oops.

Thanks

Thanks, Peter and Jos.

I had just about decided to focus on the lower reaches of the Irazu volcano and then Tapanti, partly because of comments in the CR forum by Pat and others. As I just want to see a range of local birds rather than any specific or "special" species, those two areas look suitable.

I thought Poas was inaccessible but now Jos has me thinking maybe I should visit there. And just to complicate matters, Pat has mentioned that there's a chance of seeing a fer-de-lance at Quebrada Gonzalez. I'd willingly give up a few birds to see such a great snake.

I'll also have a morning free to look for common birds in San Jose. I don't yet know where I'll be staying but there must be a few parks around the city that have birds.

Jeff

I thought Poas was inaccessible but now Jos has me thinking maybe I should visit there. And just to complicate matters, Pat has mentioned that there's a chance of seeing a fer-de-lance at Quebrada Gonzalez. I'd willingly give up a few birds to see such a great snake.

Ah ... here we have reached a bit of a fork (in a manner of speaking). One of the very last things I would have wanted to see, in Costa Rica (or anywhere), is a Fer-de-lance. Would gladly have give up quite a few birds not to see one. Happily, this was unnecessary - snakes are pretty darn shy and retiring down there. I've only ever seen one venomous snake in three trips, and that was from a boat.

Of course, if one is walking in an area that has them, far better to see it than not see it, if you know what I mean.

I'll also have a morning free to look for common birds in San Jose. I don't yet know where I'll be staying but there must be a few parks around the city that have birds.

Jeff

Yes, San Jose's not bad for birds, as cities go ... but people really look at you funny when you pull out bins. (As in, "who is this loopy individual?" (o)<)

I stayed in a B&B there for a few nights, just between destinations. This was in a barrio in the east end, called Los Yoses - saw Rufous-tailed Hummer, Clay-coloured Thrush, Social Flycatcher, a few other things. Just to the east of Los Yoses is the Universidad de Costa Rica, and I hear there is good birding on the grounds.

Peter C.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back