• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ravens in Winter by Bernd Heinrich (1 Viewer)

Jamspangle

Up the boro!
A book i picked up second hand years ago. Sat on my shelf until i came out here away from telly and radio, and i can´t believe it sat there so long! A fantastic description of how behavioural studies are carried out, taking you through every step from framing a hypothosis to the final conclusions.

Have no doubt, in a field that is noted for obsessives this guy is up there with the best(worst?). He spent years in a cabin by himself, climbing up 30ft pine trees every morning before dawn to watch the behavior of the local ravens, all in sub-zero temperatures, and he only got heating fitted during his third winter!!

Highly recommended, the journey from puzzling observations and endless questions to a deep understanding of Raven society is well paced and beautifully written.

I see a couple of ravens in a nearby spot but they don't seem to breed there. It seems ravens spend a long time in a territory before they decide to breed in it.

One thing's for sure - as with raptors in the UK - ravens are spreading far more widely than was the case in recent decades.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back