• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenko Deluxe Scope - Info (1 Viewer)

Dave Tanner

Highland Birder
Hi

I've been asked by a friend for advice on a spotting scope for general wildlife use. He has a budget of £300.00. As a Leica user my views on scopes are of little use to him. I've seen a KENKO DELUXE SCOPE package at ACE Optics for £289.00, which on the face of it seems to be value for money as it's a 70mm scope with 20xWA and 20-50 zoom + Velbon Tripod.
It's unlikely that the scope would see heavy use and most of the time I suspect that it would be set up in the conservatory.
Any view or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks Dave

Look at www.warehouseexpress.com - they have bargain offers still on Nikon Fieldscope III + 30x and Kowa 60s - inc. both much better than Kenco. For just a little more, they still have the small Kowa fluorite on offer - well worth the extra.

Let me know what you decide - I think I would choose a leading brand myself as I feel sure it will be a lasting investment. Cheaper products tend to get replaced rather quickly and fetch very little in p/ex. The sale offers at W Exp are genuinely reduced because the products are near to being discontinued - but this will make no difference whatever to them as all leading manufacturers keep service items for older models for years to come.

scampo said:
"...let Kenko stick to coffee grinding!"

Hee-hee!

I've been away for a few days so have only just caught up with this matter. By the way I prefer Gaggia. Any way I've suggested one of the small Kowa jobs TS601/2 this would do the job they want and at a reasonable price leaving enough for a decent tripod. ACE Optics seem to have the best price and I've dealt with them before. I'ts up to my friend now to see how much he wants to spend on his wife, you never know he may go for the TSN661/2.

Once again thanks to all, I'll let you know what he decides.

Dave

I actually owned a Kenko Profield 70 as a first scope, bought as part of the Ace Optics package about 3 years ago with fixed X20W and 20-50 zoom lenses, olive canvas case and sturdy enough Velbon tripod, all for under £300. It's a Japanese-made scope, light and seemingly well-built. Nothing fancy, but I found it excellent value for the money, bright, clear image, no colour distortion or ringing round the image, or whatever you call it. (Though fixed lens I found better than the zoom, with specs - there was a full field of view with the eyecups down.) Unfortunately it got stolen from my car over a year ago, so I had to replace. In the end, and as i could afford to, I recently upgraded to Focus Optics' Opticron ED GA 80 with 32X fixed lens package. It's good, but I can't honestly say it's twice as good (it cost nearly twice as much) or even half as good again. Another option to Ace's Kenko package is to try Focus's Delta 70. This is actually the same Kenko Profield 70 scope but adapted to take Opticron lenses. This gives you a wider choice of better lenses than Kenko. (Ace only sell one other lens for the Kenko - a 35X I think). Focus also do a tripod and case deal I think, if you buy a scope. When I had my Kenko, users of better known scopes were actually surprised how good it was and I certainly wouldn't have bothered to replace it if it hadn't been nicked (near Whitsand Bay/Torpoint in Cornwall, if anyone offers one to you in a pub down there). I'd simply have invested in the addiitonal 35X lens and been well-satisfied.

welcome to the forum Richard.

spending twice the money won't get you twice the scope!! Its a diminishing law of returns. You are paying to get that last extra few percentage points of improvements.

Do you mean Focus' Optics Delta 70 ? Thought it was in-focus.

Yes, 'In-Focus' - sorry. Got my Opticron at their Slimbridge shop where I recognised the Delta and assistant confirmed it was indeed a re-badged Kenko adapted for Opticron lenses. I agree, scopes, bins etc are just like Hi-Fi - you have to pay a lot for a small improvement - it's down to you whether you think it's worth the extra, but in my view, for the money, the Kenko Profield 70 was excellent value and, if I really only had a £300 budget, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another (and no need to worry about not having the right designer label if you use the Ace canvas cover, as nobody can see what make it is anyway.

Like Richard, I am the owner of a kenko pro 70 which I acquired from ace optics. As this was my first scope I can only give limited feedback on its performance compared to other scopes.

I have found my scope to be perfectly acceptable for my birding needs which extend far beyond looking out from a conservatory. The main benefit of higher spec scopes only realy kicks in at long distances and in poor lighting. It is quite difficult to get a clear focus at the 50 x zoom on the kenko but you can buy a fixed x35 which is fine and not too expensive.

One factor to consider when comparing the kenko with other scopes is that once you take into account the extras in the package your only paying about £200 for the scope itself with a 20-50x zoom. I consider the package to be decent value for money and ace cameras allow you to try before you buy ( there is a stuffed eagle owl in the belfry of a neaby cathedral which provides a decent subject to test optics on).

kenko scope

I have this scope and use it for digiscoping w/a bogen manfrotti ball head and tripod. It obviously is not a high ended scope but should be fine for just spotting. Tell him to check w/kenkomall.com. He might get a better price direct. I took this unedited pic from 40 yds.

Dave Tanner said:
Hi

I've been asked by a friend for advice on a spotting scope for general wildlife use. He has a budget of £300.00. As a Leica user my views on scopes are of little use to him. I've seen a KENKO DELUXE SCOPE package at ACE Optics for £289.00, which on the face of it seems to be value for money as it's a 70mm scope with 20xWA and 20-50 zoom + Velbon Tripod.
It's unlikely that the scope would see heavy use and most of the time I suspect that it would be set up in the conservatory.
Any view or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks Dave

Attachments

• Cattlegret2.jpg
    Cattlegret2.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 406
  • Snowyegret1.jpg
    Snowyegret1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 402
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back