• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod Suggestions (1 Viewer)

lassa8

United States
I'm looking to buy a new tripod for about $100 US or less. Any suggestions? I know I won't get the best quality possible for that price, but it's about all I can afford right now and I really don't want to get stuck with a lemon. Thanks!

Velbon 250n or 450n is good. Sold in the US under a different brand name though. Someone here will know what the US version is called. The head is a PH157Q which I guess will not get a name change!.

You might be able to get a Bogen 3001 within your budget. It's not a bad tripod, but I eventually traded up for the 3021, a model with the flip levers on the leg sections. It was better for my heavy camera equipment.

The 3001 has turnscrews for the leg sections. In my view, they were time-consuming and there was always the chance that you might not fully tighten them down.

Of course, then there's the myriad choices among the heads.... More on that if anyone cares a whit.

Steve in Houston

Steve Gross said:
You might be able to get a Bogen 3001 within your budget. It's not a bad tripod, but I eventually traded up for the 3021, a model with the flip levers on the leg sections. It was better for my heavy camera equipment.

The 3001 has turnscrews for the leg sections. In my view, they were time-consuming and there was always the chance that you might not fully tighten them down.

Of course, then there's the myriad choices among the heads.... More on that if anyone cares a whit.

Steve in Houston

Yes I would like to here more about the heads. Up to around $150.00.

Carl

Carl,

3221 (055SSB) tripod legs and a 3130 (128RC) fluid head is hard to beat. If you need to go a bit heavier, try the 501 video head.

Regards,

GR

GR Triever said:
Carl,

3221 (055SSB) tripod legs and a 3130 (128RC) fluid head is hard to beat. If you need to go a bit heavier, try the 501 video head.

Regards,

GR

Has anybody used the Manfrotto 3038 Super Mono-Ball Head? Would it work with a Swarovski 80 HD scope with a Nikon CoolPix 4300 attached to the scope?

Carl

Last edited:
I've been using a Manfrotto for the last ten years and regret the day I abandoned my old Slik D3. Sure the fluid head was nice and smooth, but it eventually went a bit wobbly and I've never found a way of tightening it. Also the separate screws for pan and tilt were immensely irritating. Now it's time for me to get a new tripod and I'm going back to the Slik.

I use the Bogen 3130 head (~$75 US at Eagle Optics - standard disclaimer) and have found it very functional. I now use a carbon fiber tripod made by Slik.

As to ballheads for scopes, I found it quite exasperating to try and smoothly track a bird in flight in the scope when using a ballhead. Losing all three ranges of motion made for a lot of readjusting when the action was quick and dirty. I generally keep the pan and tilt knobs on the 3130 just a little loose, thus allowing for smooth tracking with quite a bit of stability.

Steve in Houston

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back