• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa eyepiece compatability ? (1 Viewer)

You can use the 600/660 eyepieces but you need a special adapter to make it work and they're very hard to come by as Kowa no longer make them.

Which lenses fit the old Kowa 820 series, is it just the 32X and a 20x60 zoom ?

And don't forget the 50x rubber eyecup fixed eyepiece and the new 21x and 32x twist up eyecups not to mention the 27x long eye-relief.

Nev

I have the 21x, 32x and 50x and have used the 20-60 on another scope. Really like the 21x, so wide view :D. Great when searching for birds that are fairly close and for digiscoping. The 32x is the one I use most though. 50x for sea watching if the weather is stable enough.

The zoom is nice but I don't have one currently.

So I take the previous posts to indicate that I am going to be hard pressed to find a zoom eyepiece for my 823, 1999 vintage not the 823M.

They have the same connector so no problem there. The M version just has fancier bodyprotection I think. So, all Kowa 82* can use the same EP.

Thanks for that. I'm in the market for a zoom eyepiece in the new year.

I have an old 824 and have sometimes wondered if the Baader zoom could work on the Kowa. There are lots of threads in the eyepiece housing and an adapter might be fashioned to make it work. Unfortunately nowhere near me stocks the Baader so i haven't looked into it seriously and use the 32x all the time.

Nev

I use the 600 series zoom which is supposed to have a slight optical superiority over the 820 zoom but like I said you need the adapter if you can find one.

I wonder if their has been some confusion on this thread with some people talking about the old 820 series and others about this newer model ( http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=156963 ) which only accepts the 600/660 eyepieces.

Last edited:
oh.. look at that, a 820 that don't accept 820 EPs... So the new truth is: all 82* except the 82SV use the same EP design/mount.

I am not sure what the bayonette mount difference is between the 820 series "WE/HE" and 600/660 series "WD/HD" eyepieces. I have seem them both (though never side by side) and they look identical to me. But Kowa does sell 2 different adapters so both series' eyepieces can be used in the flagship 770/880. The adapter for the 820 series is about 2x thicker than the other.

cheers,
Rick

oh.. look at that, a 820 that don't accept 820 EPs... So the new truth is: all 82* except the 82SV use the same EP design/mount.

Unfortunately my adapter's stuck in my 824 so that should be all 82* series bar one 824 belonging to some poor idiot. o:D

When you think about it though it makes sense for this updated version to use the 600/660 mount. It wouldn't make for good finances to carry on producing a range of eyepieces just for one scope model. Although interesting it's angled only, I didn't see a straight version (being a fan of straight scopes).
Although I can't much see the point in it myself, is anyone really going to spend close to £900 on a scope plus EP if it's not fluorite?

I know it's very dangerous to enter into the twilight zone known as Kowa naming "conventions" :eek!: anyways here goes : re. the 821-824 series, I'm guessing its first 20-60 zoom was called the TSE-Z7 which was subsequently improved upon with the TSE-Z7B and then TSE-Z7C eyepieces? Too simple? Probably. If by some miracle that guess is correct, from this picture :

https://secure.ffordes.com/Shop/Store/Itemdet.asp?Type=secd&sub=0&Code=SS&SubCode=&id=63746&promo=0

wonder if the TSE-Z7 was pretty much the same as the last incarnation of 20-60 zoom for the TSN-1/2/3/4 TS-611/2/3/4 models with different bayonet? Certainly looks like ffordes have thrown in the towel by suggesting this eyepiece is "To fit the TSE77 Spotting Scope"(???) Can't say I blame 'em :-O

.Does anyone know the Kowa part number for the adapter which allows TSN eyepieces to be used on the Kowa 823M.Or where they may be available ?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back