• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on yard birds (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

Not too much action on this state patch, despite the fact there are so many PA residents active on the forum these days o:) Still, I'm looking for a little help on a bird house for a yard in a Philly suburb, and wondered if one could hope to attract anything besides sparrows if they put up a house (am thinking what dimensions would be appropriate...). Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi Gretchen,
An urban birdhouse that will not get hogged by sparrows is hard to find.
One option is a smaller entrance hole, which still works for wrens and maybe chickadees.
Alternatively, use a larger hole in the hope of woodpeckers, but starlings in waves will wear out even large woodpeckers (flickers or red bellied).
There are various schemes to make nest boxes unattractive to sparrows while still appealing to native birds such as the bluebird, but nothing that I've seen has been proven to work well enough to win endorsement from any of the conservation organizations.

Thanks etudiant! I had heard about getting a smaller hole and wondered about which smaller birds might come ... wrens do seem quite possible. I guess it's the wrong environment for bluebirds (at least I've mostly seen them in more wide open places). Not sure about woodpeckers, but that's an interesting thought!

Thanks again!

Birdhouses

Hi - Not sure if this is too late for you... I just joined this site. It's pretty good. I used to live in East Norriton but now I am out near State College.
Anyway, House sparrows are very troublesome when it comes to birdhouses. I had a pair of Bluebirds nesting in my box and the sparrow went in and took over. I finally ended up destroying their nest. Entrance holes should be 1 1/8 '' - 1 1/2 '' - no more. Starlings are easy to control since anything 1 1/2 '' or less will deter them. House Sparrows are the biggest problem. A few ways to deter them is to be persistent and keep removing their nesting material. They will move on. They also will not nest in a "free hanging" box - one that is on a hook or wire hanging from a tree branch - the movement from the wind bothers them. This swinging in the breeze does not matter to Wrens.
If the hole is 1 1/8'' - 1/1/4'', you shouldn't have a problem. Anything larger may attract the House Sparrows.

Why?

Shame on you

Shame on me? No way. House Sparrows are not protected in the United States nor are Starlings - both who compete with Native Birds for Nesting Sights. The Bluebird population is finally on its way to recovery after stiff competition from House Sparrows and European Starlings for nesting sights. The Sparrows destroyed the Bluebirds nest ,killed the Male Bluebird, destroyed the eggs and took over. I just opened the front of the box and the sparrows finally went somewhere else ... just not on my property. After a few days, I cleaned out the box and went my way. The Sparrows did not build anything new ... they simply added a bunch of trash to the Bluebirds nest and laid their eggs. This is nothing new here. I am certainly not alone in my thinking. If you want to lure them to your property, please ... be my guest.
So, again, Shame on me? No. I don't think so.

Shame on me? No way. House Sparrows are not protected in the United States nor are Starlings - both who compete with Native Birds for Nesting Sights. The Bluebird population is finally on its way to recovery after stiff competition from House Sparrows and European Starlings for nesting sights. The Sparrows destroyed the Bluebirds nest ,killed the Male Bluebird, destroyed the eggs and took over. I just opened the front of the box and the sparrows finally went somewhere else ... just not on my property. After a few days, I cleaned out the box and went my way. The Sparrows did not build anything new ... they simply added a bunch of trash to the Bluebirds nest and laid their eggs. This is nothing new here. I am certainly not alone in my thinking. If you want to lure them to your property, please ... be my guest.
So, again, Shame on me? No. I don't think so.

I think James' comment is due to the fact things are a little different over here, House Sparrows in particular have been in steep decline so destroying nests would be quite the opposite to what we what here but thats not to say you shouldnt be doing it over there as the situation is obviously quite different.
It was however only a couple of years ago that Sparrows and Starlings became protected species in this country so before then killing them and destroying their nests was perfectly legal in certain circumstances.

Thanks for the udate, Adam. I know there are those out there who love all birds regardless. Sorry to say, I m not one of them. Maybe that is a flaw in my character, I don't know. The thing is, I will continue to keep the Sparrows and Starlings at bay.
I wonder why such a decline in your part of the World? I can tell you that there are plenty of both over here in the States. The Starlings are the biggest nuisance that is for sure, but the House Sparrow is a very close second. The reason the Starlings are the biggest problem is that they also descend on Feeders by the dozens and will wipe you out of Seed in no time. House Sparrows really do not bother me at the Feeders, it is just when they take over a Native Birds' Nest, killing the young and adults alike.

Thanks for trying to answer for me but you are wrong. I don't see the need to destroy a nest. Competition for a nest box? Put 3 up!

I know it might have looked that way but i wasnt really trying to answer for you just trying to explain how the situation may be very different in different countries and nobody should judge other people who may be in completly different situations that we perhaps do not understand.
I wasnt giving my opinion either way just explaining how things are different here to over there, not saying either way is better than the other as they are completly different and shouldnt be compared as the same.

James - You're missing the point. Putting 3 nest boxes up serves no purpose for what I wish to accomplish. I do not want House Sparrows nesting at all on my property, period. I do not care for them, they are intrusive, they are destructive and they can all go fly back to England just to make you happy. Adam was very clear as to his point and he is correct. What you have over in your neck of the woods is entirely different than the situation over here. We'll continue to do what we do and you need to do the same.

I know it might have looked that way but i wasnt really trying to answer for you just trying to explain how the situation may be very different in different countries and nobody should judge other people who may be in completly different situations that we perhaps do not understand.
I wasnt giving my opinion either way just explaining how things are different here to over there, not saying either way is better than the other as they are completly different and shouldnt be compared as the same.

Happy with Malta?

Happy with Malta?

What a ridiculous thing to say, no of course i'm not and yes i've signed the petition.

There is a big difference between saying we shouldnt judge other people in other countries for controlled killing of certain species in situations we perhaps dont fully understand because its different to here and saying the mindless slaughter of anything that moves is fine aswell.

The situation that is being described in the US would i think be better compared to our own similar situation with Grey squirrells or Mink than to the disgraceful things happening in Malta which nobody in their right mind would try and defend.

Thanks for trying to answer for me but you are wrong. I don't see the need to destroy a nest. Competition for a nest box? Put 3 up!

Then you will have three house sparrow nests. I have eight nest boxes on the split rail fence around my property. They are in pairs back to back about ten feet apart to encourage Tree Swallows and Bluebirds to co-exist. I spent last nesting season ripping out nest after nest of House sparrows. They killed 6 swallows and four blue birds. I also had to seal off my purple martin house because the took it over completely. They are not welcome here and I will continue to discourage their nesting attempts.

James - You're missing the point. Putting 3 nest boxes up serves no purpose for what I wish to accomplish. I do not want House Sparrows nesting at all on my property, period. I do not care for them, they are intrusive, they are destructive and they can all go fly back to England just to make you happy. Adam was very clear as to his point and he is correct. What you have over in your neck of the woods is entirely different than the situation over here. We'll continue to do what we do and you need to do the same.

Hello,

Here is a method that is supposed to deter house sparrows. Take two pcs of nylon fishing line and secure the ends at the bottom of the nest box just as wide as the opening and do the same at the top. There should be a one inch gap between the line and the entrance hole. The theory is that bluebirds fold their wings to enter the box whereas sparrows go in with wings spread. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to this season. If this is bunk would someone chime in!

Pennsylvania Birders

Let's get some action on the Pennsylvania patch! I love this forum as a whole and enjoy reading posts from around the globe but I would like to connect with birders in my home state. I am relatively new to birding and I am eager to learn as much as possible about birds and related pursuits such as photography and digiscoping. Perhaps the Pa. contingent can exchange views, opinions and ideas on these subjects as well as any others that pop up!

I'm inviting all Pa. birders to chime in here and give a little info about themselves and what gets their birding motor running!

I'll start it off; I live about 25 miles southeast of State College and after being a casual birder for a number of years I became keenly interested in photography and digiscoping after learning of several Bald eagle nests in the area. I have acquired some of the gear necessary to pursue my new passion
and being new to this particular discipline I will need all the help I can come by.

Eagerly awaiting replies!

Bill The Cat

Hi Bill,
I've had similar problems with House Sparrows in CT, with Bluebird nestlings killed by the female HS.
I've heard of the fishing line trick, or the similar approach of streamers dangling near the nest entrance, but have no personal experience with either.
Did you ever get Martins? I tried for years w/o success,
Since then I've learned that a crescent shape entry hole for Martin nests is pretty effective for keeping out Starlings, but not sure about HS. Free hanging gourds may be the best option.

I live just outside of Philly I wish I had bluebirds here but I haven't put a birdhouse up for just that reason. I know that the Bluebird society of Pennsylvania has coordinators in most counties Here is a link

http://www.thebsp.org/bluebirdcc.html

I think it is similiar to grey squirrels I don't know about mink they are endangered here I think. But rock doves starlings and house sparrows are endangering our native bluebirds and red headed woodpeckers. At this point if I ever do put up a nest box it will be for a screech owl or american kestral or maybe a flying squirrel

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back