• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for photos of rare birds (1 Viewer)

Rasmus Boegh

BF member
Finally rediscovered this site, after a (way to) long absence!

Being a major birdphoto fan (though my own capabilities are somewhat limited), I am looking for photos (not drawings) of the following species. I am not sure they excist, but would be very pleased if I'm proven wrong in any of the cases...! Here goes:

Species from the South America (and a single Central American):

Rufous-fronted Wood-quail
Banded Ground-cuckoo
Rufous-winged Ground-cuckoo
Red-billed Ground-cuckoo
White-breasted Antbird
Spotted Bamboo-wren
Purple-throated Cotinga (male)
Banded Cotinga (male)
Scarlet-breasted Dacnis
Yellow-scarfed Tanager
Blue-backed Tanager
White-banded Tanager
Red-and-Black Grosbeak
Unicoloured Jay

Species from Africa:

Maned Owl
Blakc-breasted Barbet
Lyre-tailed Honeyguide
Green-breasted Pitta
Yellow-crested Helmet-shrike

Species from Asian/Oceania:

White-eared Night-heron
Tooth-billed Pigeon
Crested Cuckoo-dove
Duchess Lorikeet
Bornean Ground-cuckoo
Moustaced Kingfisher
Purple Dolarbird
Sunda Minivet (female)
Crow Honeyeater
Whitehead's Spiderhunter
Apo Myna
Helmeted Myna
Fiery-browed Starling
White-eyed Starling

... a long list, but hopefully someone will have a photo (or know to who/where I could turn) of one or two of the species mentioned! Whatever the case, thank you for trying...

Rasmus Boegh

Well, whatever the case, thank you very much for supplying the link... I'll give it a go, though I know that neither google, yahoo nor altavista have photos of any of the previously mentioned species registered (at least if searching using the english or latin name, no results fits)

Last edited:
Rasmus,
Here's what my Photodatabase Inventory .xls lists.

Porphyrolaema porphyrolaema - 1
Aphelocoma unicolor - 3
Didunculus strigirostris - 2 (Life Mounts)
Charmosyna margarethae - 1
Eurystomus azureus - 3
Gymnomyza aubryana - 4

Haven't the slightest as to their quality. Send me your e-mail via PM and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Somewhat of a "self-reply"!

Just found a great site, with several rarely photograped Central American Birds. The Brit that has the site, is also a member of birdforum (that's how I found it). Among the photographs are several great ones showing Unicoloured Jay, one of the species I was looking for...

http://mayanbirding.com/

Rasmus Boegh said:
Somewhat of a "self-reply"!

Just found a great site, with several rarely photograped Central American Birds. The Brit that has the site, is also a member of birdforum (that's how I found it). Among the photographs are several great ones showing Unicoloured Jay, one of the species I was looking for...

http://mayanbirding.com/

Rasmus,

Have seen the site. Did you see the Podilymbus gigas pic? By the way, the pic of Buff-throated Treecreeper isn't, at least, in my opinion. I think that it is Xiphorhynchus susurrans confinis.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen the photo of the Grebe. It strikes me as something in between astonishing and sad...

The woodcreeper. There has been much splitting in this family recently. If I understand it right, then what was considered "Buff-throated Woodcreeper" in Central America, has now been split away (so only birds in the Amazon-region/east Brazil are still called Buff-throated; Xiphorhynchus guttatus). The "new" Central American species is called Cocoa Woodcreeper, and gets the latin name X. susurrans. This split was made on basis of differences in voice, size and molecular data.

So, as far as I can understand you are both right in some way! Yes, it is (or was) a Buff-throated Woodcreeper, and yes, it is X. susurrans! Anyways, this group is likely to be split into even more species in the future! Note, that most but not all have recogniced this recent split.

Last edited:
Rasmus Boegh said:
So, as far as I can understand you are both right in some way! Yes, it is (or was) a Buff-throated Woodcreeper, and yes, it is X. susurrans! Anyways, this group is likely to be split into even more species in the future! Note, that most but not all have recogniced this recent split.

Yes, the whole group is still up in the air. The SACC baseline list (AOU) is carrying the split but their treatment of the whole group is rife with annotations and fully express their misgivings of the present treatment. At present, all of the latest updated world lists (Clement's, SM, and Howard & Moore) are carrying the split.

Last edited:
Hi Steve and Rasmus
Thanks for your comments on my new Central American birding site. You are correct that the woodcreeper should now be referred to as Cocoa Woodcreeper and not Buff-throated. In the species lists for the site I now use Cocoa, but I hadn't changed the name on the photo. I'm still new to this website stuff, so I still need help in changing things on my site, but i will do it when I get the chance.
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back