• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Learning Whilst Digi-scoping (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Was thinking only recently, how digi-scoping, maybe it applies to other forms of wildlife photography too, has taught me some new things about birds.
May be a very basic or simple example, but only recently, from a picture i had taken, did i learn that a Moorhen wears garters....and red ones too.... :eek!:

There are other examples, but I'll need to recall them back to mind.

Is there anything new you have discovered about a bird or other animal, whilst digi-scoping or through wildlife photography in general?

tracker

Interesting thought,Tracker,no ,cannot say I have noticed anything new,as such,but what fascinates me re Digiscoped pics,is the clarity of the plumage,one can see every feather detail,ie on a good close up.This is something one would not normally be able to observe on a bird either by using binoculars or ordinary photography.I shall observe details in future ,Tracker,and see what I could be missing.Good point,and thankyou for mentioning it.
Having said that ,Tracker,the same goes for Bee photos,and flowers and other small wildlife images,one can see so closely every minute detail.

I agree, Christine.......close ups do open up a whole new dimension in observing wildlife, be it birds, insects or flowers, etc.

tracker

Coming from photography as a hobby, not bird watching, I have learnt a lot about the detail of birds by looking at digiscoped photos on the computer screen that I didn't see while taking the photo. The most interesting detail you seen on the screen can be the eye color. Birds usually have very interesting colored eyes that are often obscured by the harsh , overhead light of day. When you photograph at the beginning or end of the day the low light brings out all the color. I'm still trying to get a good eye photo of a double-barred finch.

Neil, i was only discussing the eye colour of birds last night, with a friend. I must admit, i do find that detail of them very interesting. And yes, ive noticed, depending on the time of day, or certain light levels, eye colour can vary quite a bit. Im fascinated by texture and light in the subjects i choose to shoot, including eye colour.

tracker

Something else ive noticed, through digi-scoping, is the length of a Godwits tongue. Well im presuming its the tongue, because it appears on a number of shots, red and protruding out of the end of its bill. (i hope its not some kind of worm or anything like that now..... ;) ) Maybe someone could confirm this?

tracker

Attachments

• Black-tailed-Godwit_tongue.jpg
    Black-tailed-Godwit_tongue.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
tracker said:
Something else ive noticed, through digi-scoping, is the length of a Godwits tongue. Well im presuming its the tongue, because it appears on a number of shots, red and protruding out of the end of its bill. (i hope its not some kind of worm or anything like that now..... ;) ) Maybe someone could confirm this?
tracker
Interesting!.
I've noticed something similar on a couple of Lapwing pictures. I put it down to blurring/head movement. Will have another look when I get home!.

I've noticed this with some honeyeater photos when I've got them on the computer that there is a little, thin tonguelike thing sticking out. I've never seen it through bins.
Neil

alan_rymer said:
Interesting!.
I've noticed something similar on a couple of Lapwing pictures. I put it down to blurring/head movement. Will have another look when I get home!.
Looked but can't find the pics in question. Not the lpwings or Redshank. Been all through those pics. Will try the BHG tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back