• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zebra Dove (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Zebra Dove, Vietnam

Hi, I'd like to share my sighting from this week of 2 Zebra Doves in Southern Vietnam (Chochinchina). From what I've been told from the knowledgeable people I've asked so far, this would be the first sighting for Vietnam. As I understand it is the feral populations in Thailand and Cambodia that keep expanding and seem to have reached Vietnam now.
Regards, Florian

Last edited:
Only a question of time until they made it to Vietnam. Hopefully they didn't come from a cage.....

Where exactly did you see them?

Last edited:
Hi Hanno,
yea, escape is a possibility of course, but not so likely I think as there were 2 birds.... Did you see Zebra Doves in captivity in Vietnam? I so far haven't... but I do not know the markets in Saigon.
Location was at the edge of Tri An Reservoir.
Cheers! Florian

Hi,
I got a few more replies regarding the dove. Seems that Zebra Doves really haven't been recorded in Vietnam previously. A guy who studied the spread of Zebra Doves in Lao mentioned that edges at reservoirs with Mimosa pigra thickets are very typical locations when they newly colonise an area, so that fits very well with the Tri An reservoir. They will be probably found in larger numbers soon around there...
Florian

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back