• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping settings for P6000 (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hello,
I have found the recommended settings and settings for the P5100. However nothing for the very popular P6000. So what are the recommended settings and suggestions for the P6000? Like, should I use the noise reduction?

Normally I use this setup

ISO 64-100 (rarely 200)
JPEG (RAW is too slow, but I use it ocasionally if the bird is still)
Matrix metering
lowest aperture number
max. half of the optical zoom
Macro mode ON
VR reduction OFF

I use nothing like in camera sharpening, noise reduction or saturation - I believe specialized software can do better than camera.

Last edited:
I have good results with center-weighted metering and leave it in that position unless it is an unusual situation. Some folks use spot metering.

I adjust the aperture higher in good light to increase depth of field and have a better chance of getting the entire bird in sharp focus. I just have to make sure I don't slow the shutter down too much. It is a trade off.

If you use Macro mode, stay in the green. If you zoom too much the lens becomes less sharp.

Thanks for the replys. What about noise reduction, auto or NR? Not sure what to chose. Is it a choice between two different modes or on/off? And active d-lightning? Not something that matters for digiscoping I guess but I have heard that is good for social useage?

kristoffer, you want NR off as it may reduce detail in the photo. You can later remove noise, selectively and more accurately in post processing with Photoshop, or equiv.

D-lighting sounded interesting, as an aid for a snapshot, but adds processing time and not good for a moving bird.

You will want to exercise care not to "blow out" the highlights, the whites, in your subject or you lose that detail forever. It is better to under-expose a little. Since I use center-weighted metering, I leave the exposure at -0.3 most of the time - changing that as conditions dictate.

I found it extremely helpful to practice on my feeder birds where I could take a few photos with one setting, and quickly download and check them on the computer. Then make a change and try again. This trial and error cycle helped me tune what I was doing.

I forgot about exposure - Bosque Bill is right -I usually underexpose too. Usually -0.3 to -0.7 but sometimes as much as -1.3 in harsh light or if I want special effect like silhouette.

@Bosque Bill - very nice images at your webpage. Do you use Hoodman HoodLoupe 3.0 only for manual focus?

I have noticed that some people prefer to use the mountain, infinite focus, and focus on the scope instead. Is that something you guys sometimes do too?

Well, you have to focus the scope pretty much whichever mode you use for the camera. I tried a number of techniques on my feeder birds and determined I got the sharpest and most consistent shots using the so-called Green Flower position in Macro mode. So I've just saved that as U1 and always use that mode. Works for me.

Green macro mode works for me best too. I hardly use any other option - ass Bill said, none of the options won't eliminate scope focusing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back